Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

artstation/portfolio review advice

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
well i really didn't want to do this, but since there are some many Industry higher ups , can you have a look at my artstation and give some feedback. it's like a desert out there lately , so I must be doing something wrong
maybe its just my age, but I can't just always assume the worst and a lot of jobs are remote anyway these days
maybe my cv is just no good?
https://www.artstation.com/mikerusby99

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    oops. wrong forum, can someone shift this over
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    I gtg do stuff so I don't have a lot of time to critique at the moment, hopefully others come by to chime in too;

- your busts are well sculpted, but the hair really lets them down. Needs more strands, and on one of the busts the hair is floating off the scalp. Lighting could be better.
    - portfolio not very focused or organized, two artstyles; realistic & stylized. Also stuff that looks like archvis. Organizing them could help, have separate pages for artstyles, also you can probably get rid of stuff like Kate, and you have a artwork labeled 'test' with no description of what it is
    - duplicate artwork. 'freelance work 2014/17' has a list of stuff that is already present on your portfolio

I would start by going through everything and asking yourself if it's your best work; if it's not you can unpublish it. Organize more, label your artwork with better descriptors, Thumbnails are hugely important. 'test' has a golden bird looking statue that isn't very interesting, but if you click on it and scroll down there's actually a really well sculpted lady that you've hidden away

Hope that helps & good luck with the job search, it is indeed a desert out there
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Ruz,

I've known your works over the years since being a Polycount member. I'll try to give a shot at it (in my own way)
    Hope this can help!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    @Matt Fagan not sure if you uploaded the right thing, jsut a couple of screenshots of 2 of my pieces?
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ruz apologies, I updated the Link. The preview image will be presented in lower resolution than it actually is. Just download it from the file button.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    @zetheros - yeah thats good advice, TBH I am not really doing much characters these days, so maybe I will make them even less prominent
    and get rid of the older pieces/duplicates. I will start with that and organize a bit better. i really aim to be more in to props and environments in the future, so might get rid of the characters entirely , not sure
    @Matt Fagan , sorry matt, I was really looking for general feedback, not sure what i am supposed to be looking at, just see 2 screengrabs of my VR pics
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    another thing with artsation is that you can't update the timestamp? so I created the thread for cars maybe 2 years ago, so artstaion sees it as
    older work, even if there are new peices
    I was also wondering that since i have n't really posed many textures or wires/uv layouts, might that be an issue as well

• Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ruz Try again, I just realized I was the only one allowed to view. A lot of my feedback will be pertained to Characters. But there's enough there 'in general' to be applicable to whatever means you aim to do for a job. The image of feedback is pretty 'large'.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ok i have got it now matt thanks. yes good advice on the whole. it's tough because sometimes you just have to follow
    what the client wants and often I get really bad concepts, like the Katie character. they were happy with it and paid me for it, but they
    actually rendered it with the normal maps reversed. not much you can do about that really
    But overall I will try and adjust , but i can't make it perfect instantly
    re columbo, yea the hair could use some work, but again it's just finding the time to update stuff and I am not really doing characters these
    days , so maybe I might just ditch them all together.. TBH though I am not really a fan of 'total' photo realism anyway, the cartoony/semi realsitc stuffis more my thing these days.
    I will go through your crit again and see if I can make some improvements, cheers
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Just looking thorugh the cars on artstation, it occurs to me that they do actually post mainly finshed stuff, not wip or wireframes on the
    whole.
    guess i have not really being paying attention, easy to get stuck in your own little bubble as it were
    but really most of my work of late is not really designed for game engines, which is obviously large part of the market.

if you are not getting work, you tend to just mess with your personal projects without too much feedback
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Updated a bit, but will look at it tomorrow and add some more stuff
    I do have better renders for some of the cars, so will add them rather then screen grabs
    just realised that most of  my good work was buried in the site and that was a bit dumb, like the Outplay stuff, which is really more my kind  of work

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I've mentioned this a few times in other threads, but it's a realllly bad time in the industry, some people say it's the worst it's been since 2008. There are definitely things going on that are not your fault.
    Never-the-less, I think you have the history/experience that you should be able to pick up something in the months to come, at least I hope.

As for what you can do now, I can agree with some feedback about presentation. Your work is very technically sound, but doesn't have the pizazz to make anything feel memorable. I also noticed that a lot of your work is older (at least on the character end), I know you have shuffled things around a bit merging some projects in the like (to which it makes your portfolio as a whole look better) but there isn't much showing off what you can do now. Maybe it's time to really dive into a personal project while things are a little slow? Really make something that has a killer final presentation, shows off your current skill and what you're interested in. Alongside the varying ages of the pieces, I can't help but notice a certain samey-ness to the faces that are 2+ years, like they aren't exact but I'm noticing a lot of emphasis and exaggeration in similar areas. If you were interested in doing a new face, I think doing a likeness of someone who is why out of your comfort zone could help get you out of using those shapes and could also allow you to remove almost all of your older face pieces.

I hope this helps a little bit, wishing you the best of luck in these turbulent times!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Thanks for the feedback Alemja. I agree re the faces. My problem was probably always with the photorealistic side, never quite
    got in to making faces that are meant to be hyper realsitic. I think the cartoony/ semi realistc suits me more, so might cull some more
    of my faces . I realise there area lot of Arnold rendered faces out there that are top draw and hard to compete with tbh
    In any case I will probably have to give up on this as a career choice very soon as It's become unsustainable. And as you mentoned the industry is a bit depressed these days, but I actually got quite a bit of work back in 2008 :)
    i was thinkling anyway to totally drop the attempts at photorealism and stick to making props or vehicles which is more fun for me these days

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I actually enjoyed doing stuff like this much more of late, but trying sell stuff online is not really enough to make a proper living

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Liking your food props! They are pretty solid, and I think this is a case where a little bit of presentation could go a long way. I don't think it would take you that long to make a table or trays to organize them on, doing so could help make them seem way more appealing and if you're selling them in a pack, give an idea of how people can use them.

Some real life photos I found that I don't think would be super hard for you to emulate:
    The Bakers Guide to Opening a Successful Bakery
    8 Italian food experiences you cant miss - Australia Post

I realise there area lot of Arnold rendered faces out there that are top draw and hard to compete with tbh.In any case I will probably have to give up on this as a career choice very soon as It's become unsustainable.

I don't think you really need to use Arnold, and I can think of only a handful to times it's used in production, this goes for faces, characters, props, whatever. Real time rendering is absolutely excellent these days. You can use Marmoset, Unreal 5 or hell even Blender Cycles to take the props you have and do a really nice, quick presentation. I think it can help a ton! You can still use viewport grabs to show off how they are cleanly modeled and such, but I don't think beauty renders should be neglected.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    @Alemja - actually thats not a bad idea re the food pack, some cake stands etc.
    will take a look whne I get the time. I think the distinction with my characters is that  am not really really enjoying
    the high res stuff anymore. I like stuff that i can actually build, ie directly poly model and then texture. i think straying too far in to photorealism
    is not my cup of tea any more The problem with xgen , other hair sims is that i can always pick faults in them, incuding my own and I often don't like the results, whereas a lower poly character is more  like a visual shorthand, which appeals to me more and makes me less stressed whilst doing it( which is obviously important)
    .So yea I will leave those for now and focus on my prop stuff
    currently working  on another pack , which is a little more realistic, but yeah presentation has always been my weak side unfortunately

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    i dont have any opinions to offer and wouldnt feel qualified to make them anyway, but just wanted to say I really like your characters and feel it has a strong personal style. I feel like a max payne game or some hard-boiled detective thing like that would be really great with characters like yours.

the rest of your art the props and everything, I feel like also has a really clean look that is very readable and attractive to me.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Cheers Alex_J - Well I sometimes look at my folio and think it's not too bad, apart from the presentation stuff pointed out
    but still I get no offers or interviews etc. very disheartening. if I felt my work was crap and I  felt as though I was just kidding  myself then I would quit tomorrow
    maybe most of the freelance work goes to outsource companies based In countries where I cannot compete?

I guess there is a lot going on in the industry right now, but again i probably think it's down to my age
    I had an idea to make a fake folio with a made up name and put my age down as 25 , see if I get more offers:)

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    25/Female/Cali ~ game devvin' it up near you
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz said:

I guess there is a lot going on in the industry right now, but again i probably think it's down to my age
    I had an idea to make a fake folio with a made up name and put my age down as 25 , see if I get more offers:)

It is not a bad idea IMO (using a fake identity). I mean, you couldnt actually follow through and take the job, but just as a test to see if it makes a difference or not.
    If it did make a difference, not sure what that would do for you but at least it's something.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I have a fair few pieces of older work that i could use , so might try it :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Bizarrely, I got contacted today for a possible role, fully remote, here is hoping it goes ahead
  • Temppe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Temppe polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not gonna read all the replies so apologies if I'm repeating stuff that others have said.

I would get rid of the vehicles, they aren't good.
    Get rid of Durham College, CG Trader Work, and Seoul Street, they're no good
    The characters seem to the be strong point. The Columbo one is good, though I'm not a character artist so maybe I'm missing some details.
    Get rid of the Android characters, they are terrible.
    Get rid of Little Animals, keep My Cat.
    Get rid of Food Pack.
    There are some intriguing images in Various Freelance Works, but none of them are done justice by just having one or two images. Like the handbag and the Prada sculpt, or the armour suit. These look like promising projects that you never finished or something.

Overall the presentation is terrible. You have far too many viewport screenshots and almost no real renders, with sexy lighting and composition. This looks lazy and incomplete. Also take the time to write good descriptions of the projects, and check the spelling etc.

Right now your portfolio is a mix of vehicles, characters and environments. Pick one, I'd suggest characters, and get rid of everything else. Definitely get rid of the vehicles, they are clearly below standard.

I would also suggest doing a few more high quality characters to replace some of the older/bad ones, but really take your time and push the quality. I just glanced at the replies and it seems you're not into characters anymore, which is strange because the two realistic characters are BY FAR (in my opinion) your strongest pieces.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as harsh. The fact is you're shooting yourself in the foot by having all this content there, when you should pick out the top 25% and cull the rest.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    not really sure what to make of what you wrote, just saying you hate most of my work is not going to go down well is it? :)
    you do realise that the vehicles are a little chunky because they are not designed to be high res. I think stylistically they look pretty good. I think maybe
    you only like photorealistic stuff? nothing wrong with my food pack( IMHO), just need to improve the presentation a bit.

hey man, i like the android characters, pretty wacky and they got 3d printed and placed around london. no pleasing some people

• Rima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rima greentooth
    Ruz said:
    not really sure what to make of what you wrote, just saying you hate most of my work is not going to go down well is it? :)
    you do realise that the vehicles are a little chunky because they are not designed to be high res. I think stylistically they look pretty good. I think maybe
    you only like photorealistic stuff? nothing wrong with my food pack( IMHO), just need to improve the presentation a bit.

hey man, i like the android characters, pretty wacky and they got 3d printed and placed around london. no pleasing some people

They didn't say they hated your work. They were blunt, but not hateful. Confusing the two probably won't serve you well. Try to have some faith that they're saying what they say because you asked for feedback, and not because they're hateful. And honestly, they don't have to tailor their criticisms to what's going to "go down well". Sometimes, feedback can be painful, but that doesn't mean there's nothing worthwhile in it. In my experience, that kind of feedback is initially demotivational but actually useful, after the initial feeling wears off.

It may partly go back to a question raised in another thread that boiled down to "What should you put on your portfolio?"
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I honestly can't see where they're coming from, myself-- I love the vehicles. Strong shapes, clean lighting... I also like Seoul street a fair bit, and it shows ability for large scope, even if it doesn't feel super lived-in or fleshed out.
    The food pack is also very cute and stylized. I kind of feel opposite of everything temppe said, in fact. Characters are a stand out for me as not as nice looking. Like someone above said, I think they show technical skill, but don't look polished or complete in the same way some of the other stuff does (to my eye).

I'm not sure what to say about age discrimination. I want to believe people wouldn't pay attention to something so irrelevant as age, but we live in a weird world.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Can't offer that much of a viable critique concerning your organic stuff since I lack the relevant expertise to do so. However I'd amassed a fair few years assembling cars on a production line under the reputable aegis of global brands such as GM and Nissan, way back as a pimply faced 17yo fresh outta high school then in turn, decades later 3D modeling them as well, alongside other disparate vehicle types from around 2006 or there about's. 

I'm an unrepentant subd heathen although lately been trying to sort of mend my ways, in terms exploring a relative streamlined workflow under tight budget constraints which advice you'd shared via your car thread was an absolute eye-opener I'll certainly test for potential adoption, in perhaps the near future.  Anyway not only technically but also aesthetically, the vehicles should stay they're pretty much an advert acknowledging the artisan proficiency that generated them, to begin with.  

EDIT:
    "Bizarrely, I got contacted today for a possible role, fully remote, here is hoping it goes ahead"

Good luck man, hope this nibble bears fruit  :thumbs up:
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    @RimaModela -
    yes I don''t mind a bit of honesty, but I think calling nearly everything he doesn't like terrible is not  really a good way to crit
    a portfolio. If you noticed there was a smiley face after my comment. If you call my work out, then tell me why it is bad , not just that it's not your cup of tea :/  If  majority of commenters thought the cars were bad
    I would probably remove them, but I actually really like them and think they have merit, so they are staying, same with the food pack
    @Joopson -  yeah i would agree on the whole, my character stuff hit a plateau back in around 2007 and has been spiralling ever since :) re cars, i just choose stuff that looks appealing to me, like the chevelle which is a damn cool car
    i think the cars are fine, but still have to add dirt textures etc
    yesh re the age thing I am not that arsed really , they will do what they do.
    I think if I could retire right now aged 55 I would , but I still have twelve years to go, damnit
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    jeez, what's happening with the formatting, looks fine when i edit, then its messed up when i reply
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    @sacboi . working on a car production line sounds great, get a close up view of how things are assembled close up.
    re subd - I haven't totally abandoned that philosophy, just maybe I am not that great at it. I am experimenting with making a car with subd 1,collapsing the subd then add details. I think that will work ok for more organic shapes, rather than boxy 1980's cars, but its an evolving process  for me
  • Temppe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My intention was not be hurtful in any way. I realise that the way I phrased it may have sounded mean, whereas I was trying to be direct.

I can give a few more specific comments. The low poly truck says in the caption that it's 20K triangles. If you're going for such a low poly count I think it's a questionable decision to have that that orange circle on the side modeled with geometry, especially with what looks like an inset around it. There is no wireframe of this vehicle, so it's hard to know where the rest of the triangles are being spent. I have to say it does look a bit blocky for 20K, and since it looks like the is wasted geometry on the circular detail, one wonders about the efficiency of the rest of the geometry. Why not use a texture map instead? It looks like you use textures on the headlights, so I assume there's no technical reason that you can't... I can't tell for sure (because again, no wireframes, no detail shots) but it looks like you might have modeled in some of the headlight detail. Given that these are low detail models, I presume they're intended to be seen from afar? If you're going to model the headlight elements, then you should model the interior too.

There are five vehicles shown in this project, but only one deserves a proper render? Why not render all of them? I stand by my comment that viewport screenshots don't look nice and they look lazy and unprofessional. Wireframes should be given the same attention as regular renders.

Already I have a lot more questions than answers, just looking at this one project. I may be wrong about some of these assumptions, but that's my point. I can't tell what the intention is. You can extrapoloate what I said about the vehicle project to most of your other projects on your portfolio.
    Ruz said:
    well i really didn't want to do this, but since there are some many Industry higher ups , can you have a look at my artstation and give some feedback. it's like a desert out there lately , so I must be doing something wrong
    maybe its just my age, but I can't just always assume the worst and a lot of jobs are remote anyway these days
    maybe my cv is just no good?

You asked for people in the industry to look at your artstation to give feedback, and you say that you "must be doing something wrong". That's what I'm doing. I know you say that you think that "stylistically they look pretty good", but you don't get a job based on what you think of your work, you get a job based on what others think. I'm in the (games) industry, and my honest, constructive feedback is that a most of these projects are really letting down the best few. And the presentation is letting all of them down. I have some junior colleagues who got a job with one or two pieces in their porfolios - that's how selective you should be.

I'm definitely not gonna get into a tit-for-tat, so let me say once again I apologise if I came across as harsh. I hope my second reply gives you more of an insight into what you need to improve.

You are of course free to totally disregard any pointers I give. And I wish you good luck with securing that job.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I don't really care tbh, maybe just pollute another thread. that's me being honest :/

• HarlequinWerewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    I have to agree with what Temppe has said in terms of presentation. I would definitely recommend taking some more time of final renders. As said already, viewport renders are fine at the end of a portfolio presentation to show a little peek behind the scenes. I don't think your character work is bad, but it's hard to tell based on the viewport renders. I would recommend making a basic pose, setting up a three point lighting setup and taking some higher res images. I also think you should remove some of the stuff that doesn't show your skills the best. If you don't want to do realistic work, don't have it in your portfolio as that's all you might get called on for and you might end up hating it even more! Check out some artists you like and see how they present their work. 

So, it sounds like you don't want to do character stuff anymore (at least realistic work) so focus on what you want because you'll always produce better work when doing something you enjoy! I agree with Alemja that I think you should present your food on a table with some nice lighting (if that's the style you're going for)

This is obviously more realistic but I like how they're showing off a big feast!:
    https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-model-collections/medieval-double-picnic-feast-collection

On a last note, I think you should improve your thumbnails. It looks like you're just using the first image of your presentation as they thumbnail which doesn't look particularly professional. I would recommend creating custom thumbnails:

Look how much more interesting these images are. You're more likely to have someone click on something that looks cool from a thumbnail. And clicks = views = pushing your name up the algorithm = getting seen by recruiters. (I know that that sucks, but that's how ArtStation works and if you want work, sometimes you gotta play the game.)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    @HarlequinWerewolf - yes some good points there, especially the thumbnails, will look in to that, cheers
    looking at other artstations over the last few days has really helped too.
    re the more realistic characters, it's  a tough one, because I do occasionally enjoy them, but the whole process becomes so long and tedious
    and if you are aiming for that uncanny valley, it's hard to get there. you can get stuck on the piece looking 90 percent finished forever. Just doing the hair
    is a specialisation in itself. The overall standard now is just ridiculously high, so that's hard to compete with.

re the foodpack I know what you mean, but then people would start critiquing the table too :) But I will look into a more uniform presentation for those as I have more model packs in production right now
    Also re character work I only seem to get cartoony commissions anyway and commercially they are faster to produce for the same money, so it's a no brainer. I do some zbrush work on them but mainly for facial morph targets

I  have an interview on the 29th Jan, so we will see how that goes. generally interviews through recruters come to nothing, but you never know
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz said:
    I don't really care tbh, maybe just pollute another thread. that's me being honest :/
    I'm going to have to put my foot down with you Ruz. Age isn't the discriminating factor here. Its your negative attitude. @Temppe feedback was yes direct, but he's not being unprofessional about it. If you want people to accommodate how you "feel" this is not the industry for you. People at studios care more about how you "think" about handling things and will review you for that. Than how you "want things to be" because of your "feelings". The way you respond to feedback by what you do next, is very indicative of how you are as a person to work with on a team. The more receptive and openness to change, and adjust. The more likely that your attitude will reveal that's how you are when spoken with. You can't fake a genuine persona, with an insubordinate set of action based ethics.

I personally really want to help you out. Because I see how artistic you are and the potential you've always had through the years. I even spent all Friday evening doing the best I could to breakdown everything I could to re-direct you on what to do. That would very well improve your chances of getting attention from a legit studio. But you're clearly stuck in this "its my way or the high-way" attitude. This is A-OK if you have no desire to be employed anywhere doing this kind of work, and the only desire is to make it a hobby you share online. But I'm telling you, just reading what you're writing in replies, even with the typo's. I'm thinking its getting pointless to help you, because you don't really want the help. What you really want, is validation and praise.

At the end of the day, its your life. I think you have a lot of potential. But right now, I think it would be wiser to change your perspective on everything and start over from scratch with your entire process. Because that's more admirable, humble, and professional. Than someone cemented in their ways of doing things. We're here to help, and its because you asked. Not because you deserve it.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you guys are really participating in a race to the bottom, even if you fully intend to be helpful.

Ruz has been doing 3d since the dawn of time, he has a clear, distinctive style, clean work - we can nitpick minutia of topology on any random model. If Ruz was the employee and he puts extra density where it doesn't make sense, I can just explain it and then he'll fix it. If he does it twice then I make a guideline to follow. If he can't follow guidelines at that point he is a problem. I don't think that is the case because Ruz has been working in the industry for a long time. If he had an attitude problem it would have stopped him a long time ago.

The feedback he got was borderline disrespectful and full of as many assumptions and opinions as it was actionable advice.

I wouldn't try to say the generic advice to improve presentation and only show the best stuff is not the surefire way to a job, but it does seem to assume the people hiring are fucking idiots. As a modeler are you responsible for lighting and presentation at all? Does a portfolio with three well presented pieces tell you more or less than one that is full of decades of tinkerings and finished works that went towards some commercial project?

If I look at Ruzs portfolio I have a pretty good sense of his history, his style, his interest, and even his humor. If I see a students work and it has three highly polished pieces I know less about them. If I want to decide if I can trust a person or not, I defintely go with the one who has a clear, decades spanning passion for the craft and confidently puts all of their work out there. This artist is "wearing their heart on their sleeve" so to speak. Whereas somebody who has carefully tailored their presentation to only include their most overdone pieces that go well beyond the job description indicates to me that they are open to exploitation. It does not tell me that they are necessarily a better artist or not.

So long as there is some finished work I don't understand what the issue with inclusion of some unfinished or viewport stuff is. Everybody does experiments and tinkers. The job is paying money so it's not like because a person doesn't finish every experiment that means they won't finish their work on the job. And I cannot understand how a persons portfolio is only as strong as the weakest link. If michael jordan shoots an airball is he suddenly not michael jordan? Ruz is contributing to decades of projects and if we had a game full of models made in his style it would be a fucking slick looking game. He doesn't need to pose and light the models for me to see that. But then I am not a fucking idiot I can take a moment to think about context. I guess people hiring can't do that? No, they are too busy, right? So we have to accomodate them by jumping through more hoops. So that we can get an insecure, underpaying job... isn't that a race to the bottom?

By following the conventional standards for portfolio presentation it seems that the job market would select not for effective or experienced people, but rather for pedantic people and those willing to jump through any hurdle, even if it has little to do with their job. A team foolish enough to turn away so much experience because viewport screenshots are not as exciting as a posed and presented character isn't doing themselves a favor. Any of ruz's characters or cars can easily fit into any rockstar game that I have seen and I'd bet that he can do them faster and more efficient than artist with less experience.

If Ruz has had no issue staying employed over a few decades, but now that he is old he does, that would indicate more that there is an age prejudice more than a portfolio issue. Because the portfolio has already been proven to be adequate. So even though he did ask for a portfolio review, it seems kind of stupid to me to assume the portfolio is so egregiously bad that it pretty much needs to be nuked. Like it just seems like bad logic.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    ^    That's right!

And from my perspective as an all things vehicular subd specialist, his 72' Coupe Chevelle SS in particular I'd followed progression over the past 14 - 16mth period was an education in-of-itself which one cannot attain by just youtubing how too walkthroughs alone but practically built upon decades worth of experience, shipping titles.

I mean, a 200k triangle count is well within a current gen budget when compared to an 2010 PS3 era Gran Turismo ingame mesh, that came in at around 500k!
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    @Ruz - Here's my take on the matter, I am more aligned with @Alex_J on the overall evaluation of your PPR (profile, portfolio, review) since I have experienced that first hand in the industry and the hiring process doesn't always have reviewers seeing it as "The portfolio speaks for the artist"

Like this,
    https://imgur.com/NKfzxcN

Doesn't apply everywhere, but of course if you wanted to work with this guy he's going to push his weight so it might not be a pleasant experience for everyone. 

The way I've seen it, the resume is considered first and will give enough of an understanding of your academic and professional experience.
    Then there's an art test to evaluate specifics related to how you can match a result under a time constraint.
    And the decision to give the art test comes down to a portfolio assessment which isn't quite like what is up in the comments, since its purpose for studios giving art test is if the candidate can hit the minimum bar.

Certainly with competiton there can be variations in this approach, but that can also be caused because of nepotism or because a senior wants to date you later on in your career (I am aware of several instances where this happened with students I graduated with who are dating their supervisors)

So lot of stuff you can't control in the hiring process.

Before feedback, I see you have an interview coming up, good luck with that!
    I do feel this is an opportunity to build an industry connection, so even if the interview maybe doesn't proceed to an offer asking for feedback from the company that interviewed you, or even from artists you'd be working with is far more useful than general feedback from reviewers here.

I would also give feedback after knowing your experience, so while its great to improve lighting and presentation, I would not evaluate your profile or portfolio in a way that compares with a fresh grad with the top tier portoflio that is pitched here as being absolutely critical to getting work.
    Actually I wouldn't do that for anyone because its a very superficial way to assess a candidate's potential.

When I see super polished character, I can't gauge the character of the candidate, since this candidate is trying to hit a bar.
    I could have another candidate follow a tutorial and they would hit the same bar.
    But realistically unless I was an idiot art reviewer who was pushing my ego regardless of what the job is actually going to have the artist do, I would adjust my standard to the assess the best of what the candidate would bring to the team.

So feedback such as using real time renderes, thumbnail shots these make sense and are good to do and also great to experiment with.
    Your portfolio fits your candidate profile, i.e someone with a lot of experience and a really interesting personality with many stories to share.

I wouldn't reject you because you modeled where you could have used a texture. Like its a conversation to have, but not enough to dismiss you and the rest of your work unless I just don't care and want to take my time screening candidates, none of which will ever be good enough unless they kiss my ass at the workplace and on dates when my wife isn't around.

Like there is merit in companys receive high volumes of candidates and not all of them will receive replies, but I don't know why it isn't common knowledge that just because they haven't responded it doesn't mean you're dead to them and you portfolio was shit, it just means that they have you in their candidate filing system.
    Like my application to EA was in 2018, I did an artest in 2019 and I was called to interview in 2021 starting work in 2022.
    Did my portfolio and skill improve massively when they called me? Not really, well atleast not in a way that made any real difference to them.
    I had already passed the art test and was already in the system so it was just availablity at that point.

But I also know that updating work, or making newer work has advantages especially if they help in learning and show that you've added additional skillsets.
    I would have preferred to have done this at a different job, but if the option isn't there, good to make the best of what's avaialble.

I really don't know where this "race to the bottom" mentality started, but I think its just a result of ego and lack of awareness.
    Its the reason why despite some top tier artists who worked 15 years at Riot, Blizzard and Microsoft are redundant regardless of how great their artwork was or how much experience they had because so many of them believed that they owned the product they were employed to work on.

So when they are let go because of upper management they are all in shock.
    The takeway isn't that you should keep pushing the bar as an artist but its important to be smart about what the end goal is.

In your case, I would absolutely recognise your experience, it sets you on a higher bar than any newcomer with a stellar portfolio.
    But I can't deny that this might not sit well with everyone. 
    At least at EA, the art reviewer did not have full control on the candidates assessment. They could only assess the art skill and that had to meet the studios requirements and the manager made sure of this.

Temppe said:
    I'm not gonna read all the replies so apologies if I'm repeating stuff that others have said.

I would get rid of the vehicles, they aren't good.
    Get rid of Durham College, CG Trader Work, and Seoul Street, they're no good
    The characters seem to the be strong point. The Columbo one is good, though I'm not a character artist so maybe I'm missing some details.
    Get rid of the Android characters, they are terrible.
    Get rid of Little Animals, keep My Cat.
    Get rid of Food Pack.
    There are some intriguing images in Various Freelance Works, but none of them are done justice by just having one or two images. Like the handbag and the Prada sculpt, or the armour suit. These look like promising projects that you never finished or something.

Overall the presentation is terrible. You have far too many viewport screenshots and almost no real renders, with sexy lighting and composition. This looks lazy and incomplete. Also take the time to write good descriptions of the projects, and check the spelling etc.

Right now your portfolio is a mix of vehicles, characters and environments. Pick one, I'd suggest characters, and get rid of everything else. Definitely get rid of the vehicles, they are clearly below standard.

I would also suggest doing a few more high quality characters to replace some of the older/bad ones, but really take your time and push the quality. I just glanced at the replies and it seems you're not into characters anymore, which is strange because the two realistic characters are BY FAR (in my opinion) your strongest pieces.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as harsh. The fact is you're shooting yourself in the foot by having all this content there, when you should pick out the top 25% and cull the rest.

A lot of the portfolio advice I see on polycount goes along these lines, generally focused on which piece is strong and which is weak and how that means you're strong or weak while not caring at all about the person behind the art or their experience.

Like its limited to art and presentation, which is fine, but really needs to consider the candidates profile first while encouraging best practices.

I really like the vehicles, the characters could be updated with renders in UE5 though a lot of the feedback is more
    "present it the way I want to see it because this is what gets views." which I don't think applies here.
    I don't think given Ruz's profile its absolutely necessary, since there is so much experience that is valuable, but not an issue to experiment with presentation if you want to.

There is so much subjectivity when it comes to art I don't know what to believe.
    I feel that unless you get direct feedback post rejection from the reviewer, assuming artwork wasn't good enough isn't the best mentality.

I generally go with 
    "If a recruiter reached out, then your artwork is good enough for an art test and there is work to do"
    "The portfolio has already been reviewed as a suitable for an art test"
    That's it.
    And if you don't have a recruiter reach out, whole lot of reasons that have nothing to do with your portfolio.

So keep making art because you want to and look for other avenues to express yourself and emphasize brand identity, marketability and ownership of your work.

Temppe
    I did have a question about your portfolio and what your hiring experience was like.
    https://www.artstation.com/temppe/albums/8228625

Could you share the feedback you received on your character art?
    As I understand you were hired for your handsurface work which is around props and vehicles. Did having characters in your portfolio impact the hiring process in a positive way or was it brought up at all? Did it affect getting an interview?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Well Matt I have kind of followed your advice  so I am not sure where you are coming from. I don't really want to shit all over anyones contribution
    but there are a lots of industry vets on here whose opinion I totally respect. not saying I would never accept crits from Juniors, because some juniors have smoking hot folios, some not so much.
    Good that you think I have potential when I have been in the Industry since 2002 :/ cheers but I do appreciate that you made the effort to crit my work.
    I am not negative in my work, I am very passionate and will speak my mind. I am a grumpy middle aged northerner who is slightly murderous before a cup of coffee in the morning.

So even with some negative  reviews this has given me pause for thought and I have started to take care of my presentation more.
    Currently trying to re render the Chevelle
    I think it comes from years of giving quick screengrabs to clients who were totally fine with that, so I that would be ok to show my rough WIP
    on Artstation, kind of like a journal. but looking at some of the shit hot stuff on the car section I really need to pay more attention

Really appreciate the comments @Alex _J and @Sacboi. maybe you should write my euology when I am gone :) I don't always come across that well sometimes, but this thread really has helped me a lot
    I have been on polycount since 1998 and have had a few fallings out, but nothing compared to some of the flame wars of the early days , when I think
    there was an ICQ channel or something. I used to follow the arguments but never got involved :)

I never had a real problem getting work previously. Never made a lot  of dough as a freelancer, but enough to survive , even with my lack of presentation.
    But post pandemic its been tough and will probably have to get some shitty job soon if things don't pick up.

simplified the chevelle page a bit, not perfect but shows what I need to show

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Oh i was going t ask also if I do some nice renders from client work , can I put their logo on without asking them? There is rarely
    any agreement to do so or not do so. I guess they wouldn't mind, might be worth just emailing them
  • Temppe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR said:
    I did have a question about your portfolio and what your hiring experience was like.

As I understand you were hired for your handsurface work which is around props and vehicles. Did having characters in your portfolio impact the hiring process in a positive way or was it brought up at all? Did it affect getting an interview?

I did two interviews (remotely). The first one was with the studio co-owner and art director. We mostly talked about my hard surface portfolio which is where my resumé links to. He did briefly touch on the characters and suggested that it was a positive to have someone who could switch to doing characters if needed. I've been working there for eight months and this hasn't happened and probably never will. My company has a dedicated character team and their juniors produce character work that is superior to my character portfolio. At this point I haven't practiced any character stuff in so long I couldn't even reproduce work to the (low) standard in my character portfolio.

My second interview was with the hard surface lead. He didn't mention the characters at all, he just focused on three of my hard surface projects (the Sheridan tank, the Beretta and the tactical light). Weapons and vehicles, that's all he cared about.

Just a couple of notes worth emphasising - the link that I sent to potential employers opened the hard surface page, not the "everything" page. So when they clicked that link, all they saw was hard surface stuff. They would only see the characters if they decided to do some extra digging.

I haven't updated my portfolio since I got that job. I'm waiting until the end of February and then I'm allowed to show off what I've worked on. I'll get rid of the T-72... and maybe just cull all the characters. Since I'm focusing my professional career on hard surface, there isn't much point in keeping them there. I hope this answers your question.

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Temppe said:
    NikhilR said:

I did two interviews (remotely). The first one was with the studio co-owner and art director. We mostly talked about my hard surface portfolio which is where my resumé links to. He did briefly touch on the characters and suggested that it was a positive to have someone who could switch to doing characters if needed. I've been working there for eight months and this hasn't happened and probably never will. My company has a dedicated character team and their juniors produce character work that is superior to my character portfolio. At this point I haven't practiced any character stuff in so long I couldn't even reproduce work to the (low) standard in my character portfolio.

My second interview was with the hard surface lead. He didn't mention the characters at all, he just focused on three of my hard surface projects (the Sheridan tank, the Beretta and the tactical light). Weapons and vehicles, that's all he cared about.

Just a couple of notes worth emphasising - the link that I sent to potential employers opened the hard surface page, not the "everything" page. So when they clicked that link, all they saw was hard surface stuff. They would only see the characters if they decided to do some extra digging.

I haven't updated my portfolio since I got that job. I'm waiting until the end of February and then I'm allowed to show off what I've worked on. I'll get rid of the T-72... and maybe just cull all the characters. Since I'm focusing my professional career on hard surface, there isn't much point in keeping them there. I hope this answers your question.

Thanks very much!
    I mainly asked since I have some vehicles that I plan to add and it was more related to the artstation layout when having characters alongside vehicles.
    Wasn't meaning to ask as an assessment of artwork, since I'm more on the camp of artwork can always be improved so best to ask if there are any questions about a particular work.

Some portfolio's I've seen present their vehicles and characters together alongside props in the "all projects" layout and others categorise them by folder like you have.
    Its good you sent them what they ought to see for the role.

The advice I've received is variable, as in don't include vehicles if applying for characters, so maybe that approach of keeping them to folders helps.
    I feel it would be weird to reject per category, as I understand not everyone is quick to judge WIP or even consider the presented portfolio as only having the best work.

I assume this is different when it comes to outsourcers or candidates with proven track records. Work experience and published titles always trumps portfolio quality in my experience, but usually its a combination of the three and more about timing and job availability.

With the layoffs, the impact of portfolios certainly seems to have lost its lustre, its really unusal to let go of principle, lead and senior artists of that caliber 
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    some interesting points there @NikhilR - are you not working in the industry yet?, your work is pretty cool, but as mentioned its kind of tough
    these days.. Your post was very interesting/ informative
    yeah gavin Goulden is a long time PC guy from what I remember, thnk he was a character artist, work was top notch, so his advice is worth
    listening to.( shh he might be listening)
    The current culling in the Industry is pretty bad. I doubt that i would ever be going back a studio full time, so does n't really affect me, but sucks still

I am aiming at working with startups, crypto games etc, more of the non traditional routes, via long term contracts if possible

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Ruz said:
    some interesting points there @NikhilR - are you not working in the industry yet?, your work is pretty cool, but as mentioned its kind of tough
    these days.. Your post was very interesting/ informative
    yeah gavin Goulden is a long time PC guy from what I remember, thnk he was a character artist, work was top notch, so his advice is worth
    listening to.( shh he might be listening)
    The current culling in the Industry is pretty bad. I doubt that i would ever be going back a studio full time, so does n't really affect me, but sucks still

I am aiming at working with startups, crypto games etc, more of the non traditional routes, via long term contracts if possible

Hi  Ruz!
    Thanks for appreciating my work! I was working at EA in 2023 until my contract ended in July.

I'm hoping to rejoin, though there are a few alternatives but it is a tough market so I'm not sure where I'll end up.
    For the moment I've been upgrading my artwork and exploring some alternative business ideas where I can express my creativity more fully
    So this current portfolio won't be the one I'll be applying with, I still have to curate it!
    I'll be applying for positions in character art (realistic and disney)

I do understand Gavin Gouldens approach but its difficult to take that level of scrutiny seriously when I see the actual work that goes on inside studios and how much of it is focused on efficiency rather than innovation, not to mention the quality of what is actually published in the end.

Many people entering the industry aren't aware of how important outsourcing is and how there is a very active push towards automation. The general idea sold is your portfolio gets you the job and I don't think that's the case in every instance.

I'm more in the camp of the portfolio should tell the reviewer if a candidate has the minimum required skill set to participate an art test, that's it.
    With an art test reviewers have a set bar where they can assess a wide range of candidate skills sets with a single outcome.
    If 10 candidates pass the art test and 3 are selected after interviews, the other 7 are added to the candidate file so they can be contacted in case there are new openings.

Expecting incredible standards from star candidates, compromising on the product because of budget and laying off employees after product is shipped isn't sustainable and really damages morale.

It is important to realise that the industry does seem to be turning into the finance industry where everyone becomes a number, so its vital to maintain ownership over our artwork and learn to market that within our own personal brand at some point in our careers.

The layoffs really do cast a shadow on the value corporate see's in an artist.
    For example if we have a senior artist and a junior artist competing for a role and they both have senior level art ideally the work experience and published titles would favor the senior.
    But with the emphasis placed on portfolios, it seems that juniors have a shot.

And the winner in this situation is corporate that can undercut both.

But corporate didn't set the bar for art, artists did.
    Because if corporate had to choose between Last of us and Palworld, they would have picked Palworld in the same way they've accomodated AI.

This video should be required watching for everyone considering joining the industry,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-653Z1val8s