Home Technical Talk

What texel/pixel density people use for AAA first person games nowadays ?

Born_Jason
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Born_Jason polycounter lvl 4

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Not weapons  but for close up things   like  1m close  to camera  I use  3,5 - 4  mm  per pixel.     Smaller texel size   makes materials repeat too soon and instantly reveals certain naive  nature of  material details.  Repeating masks , procedural  dirt  accumulation, tiny bit scratches  instantly looking like  some procedural  Substance Painter things randomly rotating .       More hi res  details are  more eye catchy  and apparent  the   artificial nature of them is.       
    Same reason why  paintings are  often  looks more realistic when detail  are not painted up to microbes  evenly but rather have a subtle  hint , an impression of them . 
  • Born_Jason
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop said:
    Not weapons  but for close up things   like  1m close  to camera  I use  3,5 - 4  mm  per pixel.     Smaller texel size   makes materials repeat too soon and instantly reveals certain naive  nature of  material details.  Repeating masks , procedural  dirt  accumulation, tiny bit scratches  instantly looking like  some procedural  Substance Painter things randomly rotating .       More hi res  details are  more eye catchy  and apparent  the   artificial nature of them is.       
    Same reason why  paintings are  often  looks more realistic when detail  are not painted up to microbes  evenly but rather have a subtle  hint , an impression of them . 
    3.5 - 4 mm it is for 4k map right ?
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    No , we don't  use 4k .   2k  usually  . But I work for a racing game,  not first person shooter.  
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    personally I'd start with 1024 pixels per metre and use additional layers of higher frequency tiling information. 

If you're in unreal you can check which mips are loaded and/or which mip the gpu wants to load using one of the viewmodes and use that to determine whether you need to increase or decrease density based on your view distance
  • Born_Jason
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    personally I'd start with 1024 pixels per metre and use additional layers of higher frequency tiling information. 

If you're in unreal you can check which mips are loaded and/or which mip the gpu wants to load using one of the viewmodes and use that to determine whether you need to increase or decrease density based on your view distance
    gnoop said:
    No , we don't  use 4k .   2k  usually  . But I work for a racing game,  not first person shooter.  
    Got it, thx