Home Technical Talk

Slight shading errors on my meshes

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    so yeah the slight shading errors are bugging me but can't seem to get rid of them any ideas?.
    tried all the usual fixes with weighted normals, different face normal strength on the bevels, still have the slight errors
    maybe it just because they are low poly
  • dimwalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dimwalker polycounter lvl 15
    Maybe you can steal normals for problematic vertices from a surface without the hatch?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    thats kind of works, but i was hoping there would be an easier way. I might look at the normal edit modifer too
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666

had to totally flatten out the panel to make it work
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    "...tried all the usual fixes with weighted normals, different face normal strength on the bevels, still have the slight errors"

Hmm...custom normals I find can be a bit hit n' miss but shrinkwrapping to a guide mesh, would solve most problematic shading artifacts I'd encounter on a class A surface.    

EDIT:
    Straightforward too, all it is just a 4 click duplication option with an up-res'd proxy, then   'Bob's yer uncle'
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    The thing is its not a subd d mesh and either shrinkwrapping or copying normal data seems to work better on subd ( maybe level 1 or 2
    I have got it looking reasonable though.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi there Mike - this is something that MeshMachine does, using a mesh without the details as a source for the smooth surface data : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7-IDIqjF1k

So perhaps this could be done using a small portion of the car without the tertiary detail. As a a matter of fact and as mentioned in the intro of the video I don't think MeshMachine is really required to achieve this. MM Normal Transfer just seems to be a handy shortcut for something the data transfer modifier/operator can do by default.

Now it sounds like you tried this already using a subdiv mesh - but have you tried it using a copy of the car body without the detail ?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Hi Pior, yeah it does work reasonably well, but its not perfect. i think it works better on meshes that have a slightly higher subd level, like 1 or 2. the problem I am having is that it's basically a low poly mesh and there will always be some weird shading unless you unleash sharper edges  or other tricks
    I will go through this all again tomorrow and see if there is anything I have missed. you can use vertex groups to only project the on to the bits that have shading issues, but again it's not quite perfect as you have different options like replace, add or mix
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I will give mesh machine a try also, might be a bit better
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    The only problem using the data transfer modifier is that you have to collapse the bevel modifer first for optimal results. it worked perfect
    on the front and rear door, but on the rear panel i had to set the mix to 0.5 to make it look good. not sure what is going on