Home Career & Education

Company is interested in my job application, but is unable to hire me. How should I follow up?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
coolguyslims polycounter lvl 2
I just started floating my portfolio and resume to a lot of different studios, and I got my first (maybe) positive response back today from a local outsourcing company that seems pretty good. I found the job posting on their website, which simply asked me to email them. The website didn't indicate any open positions, just that they're always interested. Is it improper to mention specific details?

I got a response back from the co-founder that says they really liked my portfolio and the range of skills that it illustrates. The email then says that they would normally issue an art test to assess my skills in a production pipeline, but because of a hiring freeze they are unable to hire any new artists until March / April, although this could change in February. If I'm still interested in February, they asked me to check back in.

I don't really know whether to be happy or sad. Should I try to do the art test anyways? I really hope I'm not still looking for work come February, let alone April. I offered to meet in person too, since their office is not that far away. What would be the professional thing to do?

Replies

• zetheros
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    i would do the art test if it only takes a couple days. They already like your portfolio, and if all fails and you are still looking for work in Feb, you'd have made a good impression and it'd be a fast track to getting hired. It doesn't have to be your first pick, but this is a great opportunity to create a backup plan B for yourself. 

The industry is in a "fire all the devs" mode right now, so get what money and experience you can. Follow up with that offer about meeting up in person, maybe over coffee or a lunch if they're free
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    exactly that ^^ 

if you have nothing better to do with your time and you'd like to work there you might as well do the test - you'll be at the front of the queue when they need to hire again. 
    any sort of interview - formal or otherwise - is expensive so i wouldn't be surprised if they said no thanks until they're able to hire again. 

if they like your work you can be happy. 

not related to this scenario  - even if you don't get a job, it doesn't mean you're shit.  a lot (and i mean a lot) of the time, a choice between candidates comes down to something very particular and is often not made based on which one is 'better' - rather it's who's more suitable for this specific situation
  • coolguyslims
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coolguyslims polycounter lvl 2
    Sounds good. I'll reply that I'd like to take the art test regardless and that if it's possible to meet in person. Thank you all for the advice!  :)