Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

G36-Feedback

AtomicArmy
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
AtomicArmy polycounter lvl 10
Okay, so I've been working on this G36 for quite sometime (mainly studying proper workflows and overall detail). However, I feel that it needs improvement but I'm not sure what looks off. Any feedback would be appreciated. This is a game ready model. Modeled in Blender, soft edges in Zbrush, Rizom UV, Substance Painter for textures and materials in Substance Designer. Rendered in Toolbag 4. For more images checkout my artstation account at

Replies

• hwaminjung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hwaminjung polycounter lvl 2
    I feel like the noise/wear on it is a bit too even and everywhere. I think I would also personally lower the bloom?/up the contrast on the renders cos it's washing out the gun.
  • AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Okay, went back and adjusted the textures, shading and lighting.
  • AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I might call this done. Spent awhile with the texture and lighting.

• AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    Calling it done. I have more images on my artstation account if interested.

• AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had to go back and work on this G36, I'm just not happy with the result. I would like some feedback on the textures and lighting. Can't seem to get it right.

• AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally figured out what I was doing wrong. Added a spot light, reflective plane, different post processing and reduced metallic on overall material.

• CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    The images are very low res, Id suggest rendering out at least 1080p and preferably even higher
  • AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My apologies.Thank you for letting me know.:)

• AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the Thermal Scope:

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Have a look at some substance painter tutorials (This one comes to mind: https://www.artstation.com/learning/courses/owg/substance-painter-pushing-your-texturing-further/). Or even something more foundational. I don't have suggestions offhand. At the moment things are either very bland, or completely noisy. Try to create fewer areas of high detail / visual interest and more areas of subtler detail to give visual rest. The albedo is too dark with little of interest in it. A plastic stock probably shouldn't be half-metallic (somewhat debatable but follow simple rules for now). The roughness channel is HUGELY important in selling a material, but yours is fairly bare.

Search up G36 on Artstation and see how other people have approached the same problem. Look at photos and look at your work and try to step through what is different. Do the plastics have as rough of an appearance? Are the edges sharp or soft?  Are the metals that dark in bright sunlight? Substance painter also comes with a PBR validator, use that (ideally on the stricter settings, not the default). This will help you keep your values in range and build an understanding of what works and what's out of spec. So later when you need to break the rules you understand them more. It's very common to make things way too dark. Look at the GL especially. If I had to guess it's set to metallic with 0 albedo.

Geo: The wireframe shows a lot of unnecessary geo; try to find some examples of wireframes from established artists / known projects to get a better idea of how to optimise, however, don't worry about this too much yet as you need to focus first on modelling good art rather than performance-friendly art. And who knows maybe you're more interested in offline rendering where it's less of an issue than in realtime.

Overall the models are also quite geometric looking and blocky, other areas look oversmoothed in zbrush and blobby, like the objective lens cap on the FLIR. The grip is noticeably polygonal. 

Also pay attention to how people present their models: Some of your renders have completely dark areas where I can't see anything — don't do that. Look at Marmoset's website where they have some lighting tutorials: https://marmoset.co/posts/lighting-and-rendering-guns-in-toolbag/

Hope that gives some insights; keep at it — IMO pick something small and simple for your next project and really focus on pushing it further. This way you don't spend too much time modelling something that's only going to end up mediocre anyway — fail fast, improve fast.
  • AtomicArmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback, I went ahead and starting practicing what you said above. Started redoing some props in the next project. https://polycount.com/discussion/234131/retros-government-office#latest