Home Career & Education

Hard surface art portfolio review, and planning help please.

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Vertrucio greentooth
https://www.artbyanthony.com/

I recently culled my portfolio and added what I had. I'm already working more, but I think I need more direction.

So a few specific questions:
  1. How much and what entries are actually good enough to help me find at entry to mid level work?
  2. Do any of the pieces need more breakdowns shown?
  3. Should I make the portfolio site itself look better?
  4. What assets should I prioritize creating next to get a hard surface artist position?
Anything you think of, even if it may seem harsh, will help.

My current plans are:
  • Goal: Aim for hard surface work now, then branch into environment and tech art.
  • Produce 3 weapons to a high quality, realistic look.
  • 2-3 vehicles, with at least 1 large, to a realistic high quality
  • Rigging, animations, and UI work
  • 1 small environment
  • 1 large environment

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    They all look pretty solid to me - art wise I'd say you're basically fine 
    Technically I have some concerns - the main one being that those things are not going to LOD well with those UVs. LODs are important, particularly if you're going to throw that much geometry at relatively small assets. 

in terms of your plans...
    That's a very wide range of stuff to put in a portfolio which is a risky strategy.  
    Outside of small indies who can't afford to hire more than a couple of artists, nobody needs a generalist - especially at the lower end of the pay-scale. imo you're far better off concentrating on depth of knowledge than breadth.
    If you put 10 things in your portfolio and 8 of them are irrelevant to the job you're applying for, you actually only have 2 things  - those 2 things will need to be pretty spectacular if you want a chance against people who have 10 things that are relevant in their portfolio. 

Once you're gainfully employed you have space to extend your range - the 'day job' portfolio pieces come from titles you ship so you have time to concentrate on your other interests in the evenings ..

• Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    I need to look up what best practices there are for LOD supportive UVs. But I might as well address then first thing since it's was a studio wide issue at my last job.

The plan is to make enough hard surface art and find work in that position in games, then branch out, but the thing about environments is they can be full of more hard surface assets optimized for a full scene. The better term was probably scenes. I'm not making nature scenes yet, but larger rooms filled with a cohesive set of HS assets.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Please just move your portfolio over to Artstation. Right now it's a bit unpleasant to navigate, in part because of slow load times and in part because I have to expand a ton of thumbnails to get a good look at anything.

The models look pretty good. I am noticing that while you've got big scratches, you're missing smaller (probably specular only) scratches. The grunge and damage also feels a bit too even: think about what areas would get touched the most, what areas would get cleaned with a quick wipe down, and what areas would get banged into stuff the most.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Already did, art of all this was prepping all the files and content for getting this back on artstation.

https://www.artstation.com/aqpham
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Your portfolio looks great, makes me want to see more stuff. :)