Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP, Moebius Inspired character, Feedback?

triangle
Offline / Send Message
PiztolShrymp triangle
Original character's head was taken from a painting by Jan Buragay, but Moebius is definitely a big inspiration.
Here is progress on the project, almost done with ZBrush, soon I will get into texturing etc. Feedback would be nice :)

Replies

• Krom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krom polycounter lvl 13
    the boots look low rez comparing to the rest of the body. Cool work!
  • PiztolShrymp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PiztolShrymp triangle
    Ready to start texturing this guy, but here are some pics of the highpoly, feedback?
  • zetheros
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    I'm not familiar with moebius but it looks like it could use more detail work; wrinkles, wear & tear, rivets, etc. Some of the straps seem rather plain especially the edges. Download some alphas and take advantage of the high polycount. Good luck
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    what will be your final rendering style? are you going all in on the flat/non shading with hatching and strong contrasting outlines? because if so i would suggest, get that shading to work asap and check what you are doing in that shading. you can sculpt how ever much you want, the shader might eat it all.
  • nomzod
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    nomzod polycounter lvl 7
    Neox said:
    what will be your final rendering style? are you going all in on the flat/non shading with hatching and strong contrasting outlines? because if so i would suggest, get that shading to work asap and check what you are doing in that shading. you can sculpt how ever much you want, the shader might eat it all.
    I agree, a toon shader would be the best way to go with a Moebius style. But I would add you want high contrast colors. Make those straps purple against a light green breast plate, shit like that.

It's very recognizably a Moebius sculpt though, you've succeeded well there! The proportions and style are very recognizably his. I think that my major worry is that some of your lines, like the one on the breastplate, are so low relief. It's clear that in an illustration that would just be a thing black line, but on a sculpt you can't rely on every little detail remaining visible. And if you use a toon shader as recommended, that light little line is going to disappear completely.

• PiztolShrymp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PiztolShrymp triangle
    Neox said:
    It is moebius inspired in design, (helmet actually based on some artwork by Jan Buragay) but I mainly want to practice a more realistic detailed art style. Playing around with toon shaders definitely sounds fun for another project maybe.
  • PiztolShrymp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PiztolShrymp triangle
    nomzod said:

I agree, a toon shader would be the best way to go with a Moebius style. But I would add you want high contrast colors. Make those straps purple against a light green breast plate, shit like that.

It's very recognizably a Moebius sculpt though, you've succeeded well there! The proportions and style are very recognizably his. I think that my major worry is that some of your lines, like the one on the breastplate, are so low relief. It's clear that in an illustration that would just be a thing black line, but on a sculpt you can't rely on every little detail remaining visible. And if you use a toon shader as recommended, that light little line is going to disappear completely.

Thanks :)  I'd love to play with shaders for another project but right now I'm putting practice into realism. Definitely have some cool references for colour though.
  • nomzod
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    nomzod polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks :)  I'd love to play with shaders for another project but right now I'm putting practice into realism. Definitely have some cool references for colour though.
    Well there too, I think you have some fantastic oppourtunities. Why not a realistic leather texture in deep teal? Or the metal with a bright yellow, or purple tint? This is a great project, I'll be watching with great interest whatever you decide to do

• PiztolShrymp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PiztolShrymp triangle
    Fun project, learnt a bunch, good to finish something. Inspired by Moebius, and more specifically a painting by Jan Buragay :) let me know if you have any feedback.

More Images and Video here ---> https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6Nznzw