Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Asuka - Critique Required

Replies

• Ahsan55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahsan55 triangle
    Congrats on completing your first work!

In short i would say find good references and improve the facial anatomy and then retopologize and reduce polycount(if you want to animate/pose).

And my full thoughts here
    -There a a few questions you should ask yourself before starting a project.
    -What is this model for? is it for 3d printing? Games? Animations? or just for use in renders/artwork?
    -another thing you need to decide on is what type of model are you making realistic, semi realistic, stylized or cell shaded.
    -In any case it would be a good idea to improve the topology of the face so you could rig and pose it later if you wanted to.
    -I see you have attempted to make asuka from NGE but your model's head does not resemble the character's try to find some references of characters or people that look similar if you search for Asuka cosplays you'll find quite a few cosplayers that resemble Asuka otherwise find a face you like and sculpt your character accordingly. (that is if you want to make a realistic, semi-realistic or stylized character)
    -Speed char, speedchar live channels on YouTube have videos on sculpting human anatomy in blender which is helpful for making semi realistic and stylized characters(even realistic characters if you can find a way to add skin details in blender) and another channel that comes to mind is yudit1999 
    -Asuka has a different hair style and you can find images for her hair clips by searching "Asuka interface headset"

Personal opinions (kind of)
    -You have not textured this model and it looks very plastic-like texturing will help make it look better and give it more detail most people use substance painter or mari unfortunately both are paid tools
    -The arms are separate from the torso the clipping that happens in between the two meshes is not gonna look good
    -Also I feel 2.6 million polygons is too much for this kind of character personally I would go for 40k to 300k at most but if you don't plan on animating then polycounts and topology will not matter much.
    - I expect a character like asuka would be slimmer and shorter as she is a 13-14 y/o (so 7 heads tall i guess).
    -Your character would look pretty good in a cell shaded style like guilty gear or genshin impact. (no learning facial anatomy required)

If you are looking to make an anime style cell shaded character then I recommend you check out this playlist of royalskies videos

There's a lot more I could say but this is getting too long and I'm sure you'll figure it out once you look at other people's projects.
    Also next time you should include references and what your goals for the project are so better more focused critique can be given.
    Good Luck!
  • ZloyKaktus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Many thanks for the constructive criticism. The model was made exclusively for rendering, and I didn’t put it in a pose because I haven’t figured out how to correctly work with bones yet.
    I purposefully changed the hairstyle as I am learning to work with hair and I didn’t want to repeat it, but to do at least something of my own in this model.