Home Career & Education

Collectibles and figurines 3D sculptor jobs

SoulScience
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
SoulScience polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys. I am an organic 3d sculptor and was working in this area for past 8 years in 3d printing industry. But now I just can't find remote work within this field. Do somebody knows what is going on in the industry? Should I study game character creation? It's been 4-5 monthes that I am sitting here trying to find a job. Don't know what to do. Any tips/advices would be appreciated.  Here is my portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/SoulScience

Replies

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    How well are your model packs selling?
  • SoulScience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc said:
    How well are your model packs selling?
    Not so good, but it is saving my ass in this jobless days.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well, I don't have much to add but just wanted to chime in to comment that your sculpts really do show great craftmanship and care - so, congratulations on that. 
  • SoulScience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:
    Well, I don't have much to add but just wanted to chime in to comment that your sculpts really do show great craftmanship and care - so, congratulations on that. 
    Thanks a lot for this, my friend. 
  • Krom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krom polycounter lvl 13
    The whole 3d modeling field seems to become a race to the bottom. Too much new players working for pennies, too much model/texture generators and free stuff. I've seen guys on reddit that produce 3d models for $60. And they have somewhat decent works.
  • ModBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ModBlue polycounter lvl 7
    ivilai said:
    The whole 3d modeling field seems to become a race to the bottom. Too much new players working for pennies, too much model/texture generators and free stuff. I've seen guys on reddit that produce 3d models for $60. And they have somewhat decent works.
    This is how creative careers have always been. There's a lot of people desperate to make money and lower their prices to ridiculous lows to get attention.
  • Krom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krom polycounter lvl 13
    "This is how creative careers have always been. There's a lot of people desperate to make money and lower their prices to ridiculous lows to get attention."

I wouldn't say it's a creatives thing, because the same is happening to coding and web development. You can literally hire programmers for 10$ a day on some websites.
    We are going backwards in time in a matter of job security. It's 19 century again
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
    I guess it is worser now?
    Can someone confirm those posts? 😊 Or post any new views on that topic? 🤗
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Well.  There's less jobs in general than when the OP made the post, significantly less remote jobs and more skilled people that just lost their jobs. 
    So
    Yes.. worse now. 

On the other hand, it doesn't smell  worse than it was pre-covid
  • ModBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ModBlue polycounter lvl 7
    Krom said:
    "This is how creative careers have always been. There's a lot of people desperate to make money and lower their prices to ridiculous lows to get attention."

I wouldn't say it's a creatives thing, because the same is happening to coding and web development. You can literally hire programmers for 10$ a day on some websites.
    We are going backwards in time in a matter of job security. It's 19 century again

Yeah but with coding and web development you have thousands of FT positions available, many of which will pay a good living so it easily overcompensates for the bottom feeders who freelance for pocket change. Job security is still really good if not great with those fields compared to many others. With art however, job security has gotten to an all-time low between the Hollywood strikes, actor strikes, game industry layoffs and AI.