Replies

• aliaszzzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MODELS_INGAME_UNITY

• aliaszzzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any questions, comments or tips and tricks dont hesitate too ask/reply.
    thks in advance
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    going to be mild here:
    Congrats on this ambitious adventure.

rev10_h26 that start with hiding and them with shields made sense, but then shooting the large plants didn't.

However:
    I want the 16 seconds+ of running in the video (of my life) back, in the 1st video. :(

Ps5? wow, the music was fire, if people like this then congrats make more. 

I am monumentally lazy like most to look into any information as to how many people it took to make this, so if you would but provide that information for everyone, i think you will get more traction on this thread.
    That is all i got, hope it was enough, i probably won't be back to thread but keep on keeping on, thanks for putting yourself and your work out there for people to Comment on.  Have a good one.
  • aliaszzzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your reaction.

the large plants are ment for thick cover, so the enemy with the shield is out of plain sight.
    they wobble because you the player is walking/rubbing against it. too add some life too the otherwise static.
    you are not ment shooting the plants, but what is hiding in fields of plants.

the cinematic +16 seconds into the running start is a tad long with nothing, i agree.

Currently these two projects are made by one, namly me.
    But in unity i get some help from chatgpt when im stuck in coding.
    Its more that i have little to none experience in Unity and would like too try
    if i could make a game like project aka HARVEST. then i started another one. MARSHLANDS

just as an hobbyist project/projects too see what game development is about.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Congrats so far, it's a lot of work to bring whole game together.

I like the atmospheres you've created. Even if the modeling isn't up to date with AAA (it never will be for a solo developer) I think it's good enough to be convincing and create some atmosphere. Of course there are a million little things that can be improved but you have to finish the thing at some point and then bring all lessons learned into the next project.

I think trailers and perhaps gameplay might be improved a lot though if you adjust camera such that our view it not obscured so much by the player model. What you have feels immersive but I think it goes too far in that it begins to feel claustrophobic and difficult to see whats happening ahead of us.

For the trailers I'd consider chopping them down to be more short and punchy. The most attractive thing to me is the mysteriousness of your environments and some of those tall enemies with the shield look pretty badass when they emerge from the smoke.

Sometimes it is better to say just enough to pique interest, but not say too much that you spoil the surprise. Kind of like trying to seduce a cat. If you just pet it once and then go sit down away from it, in a minute it will come over wanting more pets. But if you pet it a lot without its consent, it's gonna bite you.

So with that in mind I might just try to tease a bit with the trailers rather than show and explain the whole game. I think that might work towards bringing in more sales. Show just enough to let people imagine and dream but don't try to explain analytically what is under the hood so to speak.

I think as solo-developers we tend to focus too much on our own efforts in the thing and not enough on the players experience. Like all of the gameplay features you've coded is a big deal to you because its hundreds or thousands of hours of work, but to the player it's nothing special. They've seen it all a bazillion times. So rather than say stuff like, "multiple enemy types, ten weapons, etc" I think maybe just tease a bit of story or general experiences like, "A powerful weapon has fallen into enemy hands...." "...Alpha squad will travel to the ends of the universe to find it..." some sort of little stingers like, "gaaah! my oxygen is running low!" "die you cyborg scum!" etc.

Just painting a picture of some sort of experience rather than describe game analytically.
  • aliaszzzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for your reaction

i agree with the gameplay trailers, they are now just some of the levels mashed together.
    it could be better if its was more snappy, maybe indeed less is more in a teaser gameplay trailer.
    maybe it was better to use the cinematic brain camera in unity, then show actual recorded gameplay.
    but im still trying too figure that one out.
    So maybe if its was more teaser trailers like, snappy, fast, short. it gets and holds the attention of the viewer.
    "my youtube stats reflect what you have said."

anyway for me its are just 2 hobby projects, no experience whats so ever in gamedevelopement.
    or unity. i am a former 3d generalist. i just wanted too see if i could make something that looks and play like a game.
    but gamedevelopment is for me now its all about debugging. instead of being productive or creative.

i will take note of you tips, and revise the trailers.
    when i get back too the two projects.

thanks for your advice and tips.