Home Technical Talk

Laptop or 2in1 tablet with pen for ZBrush

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Elod.H polycounter lvl 11

Hello!

This has been on my mind for a very long time now, I always wanted to be able to sculpt and paint on the go. I don't really want to spend a huge amount on a cutting edge device, but I'm looking for something that gets the job done for a decent, acceptable price. I'm thinking of a device like the Microsoft Surface Pro, but I'm really unsure regarding all of the options out there. I definitely want something that allows me to draw on the screen.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

ive got a 13" lenovo yoga 7i slim or something with a ryzen 5500u in it. It's not exactly workstation class hardware but it does a decent job as long as you don't take the piss - runs most things fine (max, substance designer, various 2d stuff) - it handles zbrush ok too.

you can fold it over fully and use as a tablet, the pen is nice, it functions as a computer when you need it to (unlike most tablets) and doesn't weight very much

What put me off the surface pros is the shit hardware, crappy keyboard thing and the general over-priced nature of them. Lenovo seem to be putting out really good kit at the mid/budget end over the last few years so I'd say they're well worth looking at.

• Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey, thanks for the info!

Yeah, I was looking at the Lenovo Yoga line as well. So, do you use that alongside your main PC? Do you find relevant use for it and use it quite often? One of my concerns is that I buy it and after the honeymoon period it'll just collect dust :/.

• poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message

I use it about as much as my big computer - I like being able to sit on the sofa and draw pictures, muck around in designer or write code then use the big one for finishing stuff off. I have a NAS box and run a perforce server so it's easy to keep work synchronised between the various machines in the house.

Most of my tablet PCs have been pretty much useless outside of drawing pictures so they tend to sit there collecting dust a lot of the time. a convertible like this actually functions as a computer. The downside is that its not as comfortable to hold in the hand when you are drawing and even though it's relatively light in laptop terms its still heavier and bulkier than a tablet.

• Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hmm, I see. Yes, that mobility sounds very tempting and useful. Go anywhere and be able to draw, sculpt... mockup ideas is something I'd enjoy. I was thinking about the newish Lenovo Yoga 9i or 7i. It has pretty good hardware for a laptop/2in1.

• Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey guys. Bumping this thread, I wonder if there had been any updates on the market.

I am REALLY thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy Book 2 Pro 360:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Book-Pro-Thunderbolt4/dp/B09WZTYZV7/ref=sr_1_3?crid=177OZIEZ7M8IW&keywords=samsung+galaxy+book+2+pro+360&qid=1673093639&sprefix=samsung+galaxy+book+2+pro+3%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-3

Original post:

"Hello!

This has been on my mind for a very long time now, I always wanted to be able to sculpt and paint on the go. I don't really want to spend a huge amount on a cutting edge device, but I'm looking for something that gets the job done for a decent, acceptable price. I'm thinking of a device like the Microsoft Surface Pro, but I'm really unsure regarding all of the options out there. I definitely want something that allows me to draw on the screen.

Thanks in advance!"

• Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Well, Zbrush is pretty much unusable without a keyboard, and sculpting programs in general don't benefit from a tablet display anyways. Therefore a cheapo laptop + a small or medium wacom tablet setup seems like a rather obvious and straightforward solution.

• poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message

that's a shit load of money - the HP envy is the same spec and half the price (even once you've paid for the pen).

no idea what either of them are like in practice - i dont think the Xe graphics are as good as the integrated chips in the ryzen mobile chips though

• Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey guys, thanks for the reply!

I've actually switched to the ASUS ROG X13 Flow. The 4k version. They are just releasing the brand new model with new generation CPUs and GeForce 4060s, so that would be pretty amazing for around 1500 USD. There is a really good software for tablet keyboard functions, which basically provides you with the utility of a keyboards on screen.

• knacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    knacki polycounter lvl 11

Ever thought of using Nomad Sculpt on ipad or Android?

Ipad is superior, but a bit pricey. If you go for an ipad air 2022 you'll have 8 GB Ram which is the culprit.Ipad Pro 2021+2022 1TB HD do have 16 GB Ram which is good for 20-30 Million Polys. Android tablets with 16 GB are super slick as well, but regarding to Stephane Garnier (former programmer for sketchup and also father of Sculpt Gl) Ipad is much faster.

Nomad Sculpt is created to be a touch sculpting app. This is a mobile dream to be honest. But very logical and with keyboard support and free assignable keys if want.

And it gets new features almost every day, for a bargain like 17€ or something. Reprojection is one of newest features. PBR Materials

Rendering looks already awesome in realtime, while Redshift even haven't waked up tp start working.

I really had to laugh seeing 2023 presentation With this neon effect before a wall.

This is what you got in realtime in Nomad on a tiny ipad Pro Gen 2.

And there are much better examples out there.

It is super easy to use compared to zBrush and mega fun. Zbrush fun on a 13" screen is....minus 25? At least for my years old eyes.

There is a facebook group and the results are pretty awesome. At least those done by pros ;)

What I forgot. You can test Nomad in your webbrowser on any device!

https://nomadsculpt.com/demo/