Home Technical Talk

How to create clean cloth topology for correct UVs from MD

focus_method
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 4

Hi,

i am having these issues and im stuck.

I make clothes in MD , then tryed to retopo but the problem is there is too much folds, i cannot do the symmetry well.

What is correct way of doing that?

maybe create cloth with a little bit of folds then retopo, uvs, and then manually to sculpt folds in ZB ?

Replies

• focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

maybe to do something like this (i've found this image on google) and after everything is clean then to sculpt folds ?

but im afraid those folds would never look realistic like it would be from MD

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

You would get immensely more useful reference by looking at the way the geo and UVs of MetaHuman clothing assets are structured.

As for actually crafting the model : create the geo for one side any way you like, get it UVed similarly to the way the MD pattern pieces look like + mirrored, and wrap the full thing around the MD source using Wrap / shrinkwrap / projection or any way you prefer to capture back the natural asymmetry of the simulated garment - and that's pretty much it really.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666

I did my columbo like this. did a really basic 3d retopo, then subdivided it. I might have shrink wrapped it whilst retopo (ing), can't remember

I did try to keep it mainly quads on the whole and tried to keep the flow up and down so it was easier to skin weight

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

what version MD are you using?

newer version has great auto-retopo and generates perfect UV's. Only thing necessary is a bit of cleanup. Doesn't really matter how complicated the pattern is.

What do you mean "cannot do symmetry well?"

What does symmetry matter here?

• focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

when i make cloth in MD , and import it in maya for retopo, i have bunch of folds on long kimono which creates big geo deformations + pressures that squize them. After that i loose those symmetrical parts and its hard to retopo + some parts of the cloth goes on top of each other.

so, my conclusion:

as everything in life , it has it's pros and cons.

I make clothes in MD ,i get nice realistic folds but i have problem in retopo.

I make clothes without simulating folds ,i wont have problem with retopo but i have to manually sculpt folds then.

• focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

here is what im working on:

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Well, let's have some fun - mind uploading an OBJ of segment of this garment or something similar ? Ideally as Thin and Unwelded.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

There is existing workflows that solve these problems:

Those first three links are all great info and show you everything you need for a clean and pretty straightforward workflow.

Have you look at those? You don't need to solve every problem yourself. Seems like you are complicating matters here.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

The UV<>geo transfer shown in that first video is precisely one of the handy, non-obvious techniques that one can use to get a garment retopo done fast without having to manually snap verts to the surface the "regular retopo" way. Textools for Blender even has the "UV to Mesh" function that helps with that, since one can then use the flattenned mesh a proxy with blendshapes to go from 2D flats to 3D garments at will.