Home Technical Talk

[Adobe Photoshop] (Export Issue] White Edges on PNG Export

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Silver91748 polycounter lvl 2

For some reason when I export my PNG's from Adobe they keep showing up with these white edges at the very ends.

This is a picture of the illustration I'm doing in Photoshop, latest version. It's supposed to have a transparent background, but for this case I have it against a black background to show how there are no white edges showing up in the .PDF

But when I export this as a .PNG, I always get these white lines at the very ends. In the below screenshot I have an example for when I applied the .png as a texture in Maya (latest version).

These white edges, again, don't show up in the PDF.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool

I have no idea what it is but try solidify filter for photoshop or a series of 1 pixel "minimum" ones and then re-ally original alpha.

• Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15

If you are using PNG with the embedded transparency, then that is just the nature of the beast. I would flatten the image (give a bleed) and use another image to control the transparency. Even better, a *.tga with bleed and alpha channel.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Search for SuperPNG this is a plugin for Photoshop to fix their terrible default alpha support.

• Tiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth

Isn't the cause here that the pixels in the transparent area are bleeding through? Which is in Photoshop plain white? Premultiplied alpha promises a fix for this. But not in all cases ...

I cannot find the exact article at the moment. And this is for Unity. But this is related:

I wrote me a tool back in the days that extends the pixels from the visible areas into the invisible areas. So that this kind of bleeding doesn't matter since the pixels in the invisible area has the same color than the ones in the visible area. But i think this tool has quit working at Win 10, sorry. Was slow as hell anyways.

EDIT, Photoshop solidify filter from flaming pear is what you are looking for.