Homeโ€บ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] "Tank" Character - Artstation Challenge

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
jgarrison polycounter lvl 5

I decided to participate in the current ArtStation challenge because it seems like I have a much easier time working on portfolio pieces when there is an externally set deadline ๐Ÿ˜…

This is the concept art I'm working off of, by Tony Zenitium:

And here's my progression, so far:

I'm posting now because I'd like to get some feedback before I start committing to topology. I'm going to start working on his weapon in the meantime!

Replies

• jgarrison
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I'm looking for feedback again! I have some general ideas as to how to push the material towards the finish line (hand-painting fixes to some of the smart masks, tweaking the colors on the armor, fading the leather and fabric in places and adding more wear, adding some decals here and there) but I'm hoping some polycounter might have some secret sauce for me, or some video or trusted resource for getting a character's materials from just decent to exemplary.

I also feel like a lost a lot of detail from the sculpt and I'm hoping there's some way I could get it closer to how it looked in zbrush. Maybe I could bake the matcap to polypaint, and then the polypaint to a diffuse material, and then send that through photoshop and use it to make a mask... (๏ผ›โŒฃฬ€_โŒฃฬ)

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hey, cool project! I believe varying color and roughness by curvature/cavity and hand-painted masks could improve the appearance. The chitin armor having a distinct backside, could make the transition between the materials more natural and increase readability. Another option to further enhance readability/layering would be to apply some slight gradients.

You could inspect existing chitin or bone armor for inspiration.

Keep it up ๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿ’ช

• jgarrison
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

With two days left and me feeling a little burnt out, I'm going ahead with this for the final submission. I'd still like to rework the materials a bit at some point, in particular I'd like to incorporate more of Fabi_G's advice regarding the backsides of the armor, but for the immediate future I'm going to move on to another piece.

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hey man, congrats on finishing it ๐Ÿป The render on the green background is my favorite one. Much success for the next project ๐Ÿ’ช