Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Podracer Cockpit Remake

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
nexussim polycounter lvl 2

Hello all! I'm trying to fix up projects that need it in my portfolio before I do perhaps one more project and then look for work. I am looking for critiques on the cockpit for my podracer (it was one of my very first projects). It's not quite finished (it needs some materials added to a number of parts as well as more parts added inside). Any and all criticisms welcome. I'll include before and after pics.

Before:

After:

After this I'll be redoing a number of materials on the engines.

These are the engines for reference: Any criticisms for these and what to improve on or how, would be wonderful. (I know that the main metallic material should be much less pristine and more damaged and used looking. I also feel I need to do a real environment for it too.)

Thanks you :)

Replies

• nexussim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Here are some progress pics. I decided to take the environment in a different direction and also to add some atmosphere. Any critiques are very welcome. (Specifically about the composition, textures and environment would be great). Also, can anyone give me ideas one how to use less vram? I set the max texture size to 2k but this scene is still almost 20 gigs of vram. It's about 33 million triangles total. (probably all those subd modifiers and ground/building density for using displacement maps.)

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

From the film as reference, the front of the pods should be yellow paint and not a yellow metallic material, same with the blue decals on the pod.

I'd also suggest picking 2 or 3 different treatments for metal parts, because many of them are slightly too uniform. Have small parts, pipes, and structural metal bits looking slightly different, but with uniform grime making it all sit together.

I'd suggest trying a composition similar to the movies, motion blurred ground and a interesting but relatively simple horizon.

• nexussim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@ZacD Ok cool, thanks. I'll think it over. Two things I should mention are: I'm aiming for a loose recreation of the area where he is fixing up the podracer (I'm going to be adding tools and such into the scene). It's not a racing scene. As for some of the design choices, I intentionally aimed for a different look (like the yellow front). I'm not trying for a 1:1. An example is the cockpit exterior which looks more machined unlike the movie where it's more curved. Of course, none of this means I'm making the correct decisions. After hearing this, do you still feel the same way?

• nexussim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@ZacD Oh hey, I did take some of your advice (then I decided to take a break from the project). Here's the result:

A more "race" look with a simple background and I changed the jet flames.