Home Technical Talk

Loops vs Grid

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Klaus Hustle polycounter lvl 8

Hopy this isn't too basic, havn't found a clear answer to this problem.

I recently trying to really get into 3d this time and i'm wondering why the general consensus seams to be to do the fencing with support loops instead of just making a grid.

I know that you, at times don't want to a grid-based mesh for reasons, but if you do, aren't support-loops unnecessary?

Example attached, thanks you!

Replies

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666

Doesn't matter. Do what gets the job done.

• Eric Chadwick

In general, more geometry makes it harder to edit shapes, just because all those edges make any changes more complex. Simpler geometry for subdivision is easier to manage.

If you're modeling to bake normal maps, the topology mostly doesn't matter, as oglu says. Only matters how good of a bake it makes.

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi insane polycounter

Frank! I think we need to allocate a sticky for all your gems of wisdom 😀

• Klaus Hustle
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaus Hustle polycounter lvl 8

Jesus christ, thanks so much, especially @FrankPolygon!

My issue with support loops is that with lots of different details it becomes kind of a puzzle to resolve everything into another in the end, and i'm working on my portfolio right now and need some good looking topology, although i know that even ngons or tris could be considered to be "good topology". I just don't know what ppl who would hire me would look after. I always felt like grid-like topology looks clean af and gives the best opportunity to add details, but it's not suited for EVERYTHING, so my takeaway is to use the best out of both worlds where needed i guess.

Thanks!

• Eric Chadwick
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi insane polycounter

Oh duh! yes of course....cheers Eric, put it down to a complete brain fade - must be getting old 🤥