Home Adobe Substance

Spec/Gloss Workflow questions

Radio60Hz
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Radio60Hz polycounter lvl 4

Hi guys I trying learn more indepth texturing, I read PBR guide from substance and cant understand some topics

someone can explain what color should be in specular channel in spec/gloss workflow in SP for mud, dirt, rubber and other non metallic materials or it should be always grey?

for metalic there is clean answer Metals should black in diffuse channel

and I cant understand how I can use or how it can be usefull values such as sRGB or linier or reflectivity in 70% in painter

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

the spec color would be the color of the reflection, say its a copper, then it is a reddish tone. if its a gold its a yellow tone etc.

basically what you would use as your diffuse color in metalness roughness workflow would be you specular color in specular gloss workflow.

in metalness roughness value, all specular that isnt metallic is white or shades of white and is only defined by the color of your lightsource.

but thats the thing with spec roughness workflow, you can break those rules, for instance in stylized games its common to tint highlights for a more pleasing look, which would only be possible using mixing some metallic value in in the m/r workflow, while with s/g you could technically do whatever you please.

• Radio60Hz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks for answer, yeah this part I understand for metals atleast but for non metalic there a b t harder to understand

for example wood its non metal material diffuse part will be color of this wood gloss how roigh it can be but what specular should be

there in painter color picker uses HSV or RGB, so it confussing when I trying use this values like 55-64 srgb when my hsv rgb from 0 to 1

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

non metals are always gray specular with a value between 0 and 0.5 (out of 1)

most materials have a value of 0.5 - for wood and other absorbent or very rough materials you can consider reducing the value a small amount (minimum around 0.37 before it starts getting wrong)

painter's type in color values are in linear space so you'll have to do a conversion

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Well, why don't you author your assets with Roughness+Metalness anyways ? It's about 10x more intuitive than having to deal with colored specular, and gives exactly the same results. With this approach all you have to think about is whether or not a surface is metallic, and how rough it is. And ... that's it.

• Radio60Hz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

thanks guys for answers I finally understand what i doing wrong and how value works