Home Technical Talk

Advice on hand tertiary details

DustyShinigami
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
DustyShinigami polycounter lvl 4

Hi

I’m looking for some advice on how best to approach hand tertiary details, specifically on the palms. What do other game character artists do? I mean, for something like the palms, which may not be seen up close, unless you see a character’s hands in a first person shooter, do other artists try to capture all the finer skin details? For instance, I’ve been struggling on how best to approach the directionality of the thinner skin lines (not the thicker ones on top), like you can see in this image:

None of the alphas I’ve found or got have impressed me to be honest. And with alphas, it’s difficult to get precise directionality when you have to keep dragging out a rectangle and rotating them. Do other artists go to this extreme with the tertiary details of the palms? Specifically for game characters? And if so, how do you approach it? I’ve not found any videos or courses that cover the hands with realistic tertiary details, unless others know of some…? It’s be appreciated if links to some could be shared. :)

Thanks

Replies