Home Technical Talk

What is the fastest way to make hair cards in 3dsmax and to edit them?

Klinschi
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Klinschi polycounter lvl 2

Hello, i want to ask you all, what the fastest way is, to make hair cards and edit them. And if there are tricks, placing the hair card planes?

I was wondering, why many artists, don't use ornatrix for something like that? I mean, you can convert the splines from ornatrix to hair cards? Its a time saver or not?

Placing hair cards traditional or with plugins?

Im new to that and i find it totally time consuming in 3dsmax (im a max user) to place every single plane, but its a part of the process, so i have to learn it).

Greetings

Klinschi

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

by all means just use ornatrix if you are comfortable with it. there is no ONE workflow that rules them all.

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character

I can only guess (not having used Ornatrix and all) that it's about a lack of control - the number of splines being created by the plugin and if and how their tilt/CV rotation can be controlled on a CV basis once you do the conversion. Because make no mistake: there's plenty of manual work involved after that - none of these plugins will give you a useable hairline for starters - and these plugin one-click-methods have their ways to create a real polysoup mess.

That's just Max talk though. You can definitely use grooming and splines and convert between groom, splines with custom curve profiles assigned and geometry, even to some degree back and forth between all of them. And nice viewport display and all sorts of bells and whistles. In Blender. 😜