Home Career & Education

How to introduce a 12yo kid to 3D?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10

My friend have a 12yo girl that draws really good, is very good with math, and was making questions about 3d printers. I was wondering if there is anything that she could tinker too see if she gets an interest in 3d modeling and printing.

Any recommendations ?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

I remember seeing awhile back on teh epic games launcher they have a handful of courses focused on that age range using fortnite as the vehicle. Like an editor version of the game with lessons where you do various game related things.

Not 3d modeling but I think there was a mix of different disciplines. Probably mostly blueprint focused stuff.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

I wasn't much older when I first started dicking around with imagine on the Amiga. A smart kid will be able to pick stuff up fairly quickly

maybe something like tinkercad is worth a look if she's interested in 3d printing ?

• sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Another all rounder, tailor made with young'uns in mind would be 3D Slash (a piece of cake)

'gamey' UI alongside works with .stl files - either free or paid licensing as well.