Home Technical Talk

Zbrush - Hi, can someone please explain me how to correctly proceed in terms of polygon levels?

I can understand that the scale of tool and subdivision level determines polygon density. Okay, i first started working with dynamesh, and soon arised the problem that i had too many polygons too soon. Now, i tried keep off DynaMesh and just control my level of detail by division and subdivisions, but now zBrush requires to freeze subdivision levels to add new primitives or brushes, and that destroys my tool details and goes lowest division level.

So, what is the proper way to keep the right detail level each time across the entire sculpt creation progress? I always end destroying my work at some point.🤣

Thank you.

Replies

• Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth

Freezing subdivisions doesn't destroy anything - once you unfreeze it will rebuild them (its not perfect, mind you).

Certain tools are destructive, however, and how you work with that depends on what you're doing. Save multiple files/subtools, named in a way that if you have to redo a stage, its not a total nightmare to find it.

You can also remesh, project, retopo in various ways. I do mostly hard surface work, so my Zbrush usage is fairly 'low tech', and most of the subdivision happens in Maya (more predictable for creating low poly geo).

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth

if you are using dynamesh, you are probably still blocking in forms and concept sculpting. I am guessing you end up with a high polycount with dynamesh because you have to raise the resolution of the dynamesh to something high due to mesh contraints. For example because of close together protrusions will get munched by the dynamesh otherwise, like inbetween fingers. In that case It's probably just easier to keep those things as separate tools until your forms are in place, you are ready to dynamesh it together and work on the secondary forms. So you might just have a separate tool for the hands which has it's own dynamesh setting.

Another thing you could do to get some local resolution onto the mesh is to switch sculptris mode on and just tap smooth over the area where you need some extra res instead of dynameshing the whole thing .