Home Technical Talk

How do you create giant, non-repeatable environment structures for games?

ned_poreyra
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ned_poreyra polycounter lvl 4
Here, an example. We're assuming that the player WILL be able to get close to every part of the structure. So you can't just disregard the texture quality above 5 meters, because "the player will never see that anyway". The player will see that, because they can climb it.

I guess the main block of the structure could be texture bombed or assembled out of many objects. However, what about the circle? How to achieve that without making an enormous object/decal?

Replies

• YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    There are always multiple ways to achieve a certain result. But here's how I'd do it and how we do it in production (also they did something similar for God of War, there are many posts on Artstation):

Create the structure as one big mesh - since it looks very stone-ish, bring the whole thing into ZBrush for a sculpting pass. Focus on larger damage and cracks etc.
    Then bake a unique normal map which will be used as your main-largescale detail map.
    After that, create an RGB Mask in Substance painter. This mask will be used to combine multiple tiling stone textures and maybe dirt/edges.

You will have 2 UV channels. UV Channel 0 will be used for your unique normal map. UV Channel 1 will be used for texel density. Meaning you unwrap your large stone structure again but this time you don't fit it into the 0-1 space, you actually scale it to have the correct texel density.

Combine everything and you can even add a detail tiling normal map on top of everything for close-up-crispyness.
    Then to finish it, use large scale decals to add even more breakup.

I hope this makes sense, if not feel free to ask!
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    The circle part could be decal, but using decal trim textures instead of one giant one, similar to Star Citizen decal technique you can read about here: https://polycount.com/discussion/155894/decal-technique-from-star-citizen
    You can also consider since this is such a massive object modeling a bit more geo into it to achieve some of the patterns. Example from Overwatch
  • ned_poreyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks said:

Create the structure as one big mesh - since it looks very stone-ish, bring the whole thing into ZBrush for a sculpting pass. Focus on larger damage and cracks etc.
    Then bake a unique normal map which will be used as your main-largescale detail map. 

[...]

I hope this makes sense, if not feel free to ask!

It doesn't, because the object in the image is between, let's say, 500-1000 meters high. It's bigger than entire locations in many games. I can't imagine sculpting, baking or painting it as a single object.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Unique macro texture for distant lod  covered by small repeating  geometry pieces , tileable materials in segmented mesh and decals   covering seams  at close ,    and hiding or replacing  low res macro to certain extent .   
    Probably only   at the bottom  part  where players could come nearby.
  • Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    Are you posing hypothetical scenarios to test polycount? I may be missing some context, but seems to me your tone is a bit rude and confrontational? YF_Sticks gave you a detailed explanation of how to do something like this and your response is "Nope, doesn't make sense"? It does make sense, and meshes that large are not unheard of.  
  • ned_poreyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin said:
    Are you posing hypothetical scenarios to test polycount? I may be missing some context, but seems to me your tone is a bit rude and confrontational? YF_Sticks gave you a detailed explanation of how to do something like this and your response is "Nope, doesn't make sense"? It does make sense, and meshes that large are not unheard of.  
    Sorry. I may sound frustrated because I've been trying to solve this problem for a long time and I still see no solution on the horizon.

As far as I know, the standard resolution in AAA games these days is 2K per 1 meter. Let's say the object is 500 meters high and 250 meters wide. Obviously I can't sculpt or paint it as one object, as the required resolution would be in billions of polygons and tens of thousands of UDIM textures. It has to be broken down into smaller parts, individually created and then assembled out of those, like a building.

However, the circular part breaks everything. Because it's a unique, non-repeatable shape. Even worse - it's indented, which means it's not even really an object - it's a negative space created by other objects...

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Something that big needs to be treated as a world, not an asset

Make it out of lots of small bits
  • FrankPolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon grand marshal polycounter
    Based on the relative scale of other things in the environment the height estimate of 500 to 1,000m seems a bit overstated.

Half way up the right corner of the structure there's a flock of white birds that are fairly close to the structure. Going off a quick search: Canadian geese are a decent sized, large bird and they average around 80cm in length and top out around 110cm. Another quick search: the wandering albatross is the largest bird that can still fly and they top out around 135cm in length. So there seems to be an upper limit to the size of birds that can fly in earth like conditions.

There's also a mine entrance with a sign in the lower left corner of the image. Using the birds (average sized Canada goose) as a scaling reference, the height of the mine entrance from the bottom of the sign to the ground is around 2.5 to 3m. The shoring timbers holding up the mine entrance are about 30cm wide. Which is about double the size of the generic timber posts listed in the hard rock miner's handbook. So the scale seems about right for the recognizable things in the environment.

Measuring from the base of the structure to the top it's around 120-150m. Even doubling that (which pushes the birds in the concept art about 20% beyond the largest flying birds here on earth) it still only makes the structure around 240 to 300m tall. About half of the low end of the height estimate. From there the estimates start to border on the absurd. To get to the higher end of the height estimate the birds would be roughly 6 to 7 times the size of the largest flying birds here on earth, the mine entrance would be close to 20m tall and the timbers holding up the mine would be over 180cm wide.

There's other elements that also suggest scale: vegetation, graffiti, paintings and fire. All of these can be used to infer human scale and the artwork has it's own sort of abstract quality that gives a certain impression but leaves some things open to interpretation. The 150 to 250m height range seems more reasonable given what's around it and also a lot more manageable to translate into a usable game asset or environment.

Have to agree with the recommendations to break this up into smaller pieces and assemble it from re-usable geometry and material elements. Probably need to lean a lot more on unique geometry elements that share materials to cut down on the resource footprint of the textures.  May be better to try different ideas on some low effort, small scale samples to test the viability of different solutions.
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    Benjammin said:
    Sorry. I may sound frustrated because I've been trying to solve this problem for a long time and I still see no solution on the horizon.

As far as I know, the standard resolution in AAA games these days is 2K per 1 meter. Let's say the object is 500 meters high and 250 meters wide. Obviously I can't sculpt or paint it as one object, as the required resolution would be in billions of polygons and tens of thousands of UDIM textures. It has to be broken down into smaller parts, individually created and then assembled out of those, like a building.

However, the circular part breaks everything. Because it's a unique, non-repeatable shape. Even worse - it's indented, which means it's not even really an object - it's a negative space created by other objects...

I think you misunderstood my answer above.

You don't texture it as one object. That wouldn't make any sense because you'd end up with the most low-resolution texture ever.

But what you can do is bake a unique normal map, for large scale detail. Normal map allows to be scaled up extremely high. And then you tile tiling textures over the whole object (which will give you the correct texel density). Also as Clark Coots mentioned, you can even add some geo to give more large detail like in the Overwatch Screenshot. That's how you solve this issue with having a big cube with a hole in it. Because you combine unique elements with tiling textures at the correct resolution.

Here are some examples of this workflow:

Here are some good instructional videos:

Hope this makes it more clear!

• Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    Benjammin said:

Hey, all good. Thank you. 

If some of the explanations given here make no sense to you, that's ok - you're delving into tech art with something like this. 
    I'm interested in the why. Is this personal or professional work? "Its huge and has to look great from all angles and up close" is the kind of vague client request that hurts my soul, so I hope for your sake its personal work...
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    How does the circle break it? 

Identify repeating parts, turn them Into modules, fill the gaps with unique geometry apply some vertex/mask based blending, do some fiddling with shaders to apply some more variation and you're done .

Plenty to get your teeth into, none of it's rocket science
  • ned_poreyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Benjammin said:

I'm interested in the why. Is this personal or professional work? "Its huge and has to look great from all angles and up close" is the kind of vague client request that hurts my soul, so I hope for your sake its personal work...
    It's neither really. I'm trying to switch from advertisement/product visualization industry to games and I'm learning environment art. And this is one thing I can't figure out and it bothers me to no end when I don't know how to do something. I want to avoid a situation where I get an assignment like this and all I could say would be: "yeah, here is a thing - I have no idea how to do that", and they say: "well, you should, aren't you an environment artist? I think you should rethink your future in this company".

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
     "yeah, here is a thing - I have no idea how to do that", and they say: "well, you should, aren't you an environment artist? I think you should rethink your future in this company".

Change your mindset. There almost always be situations that you aren't comfortable in, but those are called challenges, and it's what you learn the most from. You're likely working with a team, both with people at your role (enviro artists), and overseeing roles with some deeper knowledge (tech artists, developers, art directors/leads). One person or the other will come up with a solution, if not, a step in the right direction.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've never gotten a response like that when I didn't know how to do something. Instead we figured it out as a team. 

And if you're working as an independent freelancer with no team to bounce ideas off of, then it's up to the client to explain the tech limitations. Unreal? Unity? WebGL?

Anyhow, lots of solutions in this thread for you to dive into. And check out our wiki http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/MultiTexture
  • Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    ^ Yeah, what they said :) 
    I think what gets missed by amateurs/students (I was the same!) is that a huge part of game art is misdirection. When you're making something for your portfolio, you want it to look great from all angles, up close and far away, which is fair enough when you have a free camera and you're trying to get a job. Its different in production - "You'll never see that in-game" is a well worn phrase... ;)

So, to take your example of being asked to make this as part of your job, you'd have a lot of supporting information:

• The kind of camera your project uses, and how close it gets to the environment.
    • The mechanics the player traverses the world with and how fast they move.
    • The way the rest of the world is built and streamed.
    So, you already have a ton of info that will guide and constrain how this gets built. There will be conversations with tech art and world building. There might (probably) be revisions as you all collectively work out how to execute this thing.

Embrace the doubt; this sort of problem solving will be a big part of the job :) The great thing is its not all on you, and the collaborative process of getting to a final result can be super rewarding.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I mostly work alone so bouncing ideas of team isn't always an option. 

My advice: just try anything. Don't wait until you got every step figured out in your brain. Just form a half concocted idea and start working. Once you have just an ounce of "paint on the canvas", it becomes much easier to bring it all together. 

Chances are, this first time that you finish won't be the very best way. But once you've got something that works, it is then much easier to refine and do a better job. 

Most of the time, that second or third iteration is where I've discovered the "typical" way people do these things. 

It is frustrating and tiresome but it is more productive to work like this than to sit around thinking and planning and phoning the audience, in my experience. 

Anyway, there is some motivational, but more specific to the problem I agree that the object looks more like it's in the tens of meters tall, not hundreds. I'd just make it in a few distinct parts. I wouldn't worry how many material sets it uses. Just make it look right, and then figuring out how to repack and optimize later is very easy.

I don't think the size of this object would necessitate using some macro/micro textures that blend based on screen size. I mean you could do that but I would test and see if the most simple approach would work before doing a more involved process. (if you want to learn how to do material stuff like that, check out Ben Cloward on youtube. He shows how to blend macro/micro textures based on either distance of screen size in one of his terrain material tutorials).

And if the goal is to make portfolio pieces to get a job, and you aren't a super technically inclined person... just do something that doesn't twist your brain in a knot. There is plenty of awesome art that you can make which is technically more simple to create. Teams will hire person(s) specifically for more technical problems.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    It's just a painting anyways.