Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] INSAS 5.56 Assault Rifle

Hey guys, this my first post here in a while. A small background for people who care, if not move on to the critiquing: 

6-7 years ago I posted here often. I was 15-16, learning and lot of people here taught me a lot a critiqued lots of my work so I'm glad to come back home per say lol. Now I'm back 22, I have an Indie-Dev St, and we're currently developing 2 games. (Always looking for people :)) You can find my personal portfolio here: https://www.artstation.com/xero3d

Today I'm showing this INSAS Assault Rifle made used by the Indian Army. This is in it's current state. I started this weapon yesterday and I'm aiming for lots of detail. If you can please judge accuracy as well. This is the high poly model version will be optimized and textured eventually. I also plan on adding a few attachments.

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Looks good.

In my opinion, accuracy is already there although would be nice too post some wires, as well?

It's also refreshing to see something unique so I'll follow along with interest. 
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Your handguard seems to small compared to a real insas, I would recommend to double check the proportions on your model. 
  • Soriox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:
    Looks good.

In my opinion, accuracy is already there although would be nice too post some wires, as well?

It's also refreshing to see something unique so I'll follow along with interest. 

Thank you, here are some wireframes. Also references are a bit hard to find for this weapon in certain areas.

• Soriox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 said:
    Your handguard seems to small compared to a real insas, I would recommend to double check the proportions on your model. 
    Yeah I wouldn't doubt that, the handguard area is giving me the most trouble. Also I can't find references for that top area of the handguard. I've made a slight adjustment but this is all I have for this so far:

• Soriox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

No matter what picture I find, I can't seem to figure out what's going on in this area

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Soriox said:

No matter what picture I find, I can't seem to figure out what's going on in this area

Personally I don't solely rely on image refs per se, especially when searching for a closeup of an area that may not otherwise be easily sourced. However over the years I've found people will tend to post a disassembly / assembly vid for a given weapon I'm modeling at the time so I'll also check YT, Vimeo...etc.

INSAS 1B 5.56 mm ASSAULT RIFLE (disassembly starts at 0:40 )