Home General Discussion

Photogrammetry, megascans in level design , worth?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
I have downloaded and tested beautifull levels in unreal done with megascan assets and photogrammetry, but are very static , uninteractive and limited area spaces, are they worth usage ? If so when and how you thing are usable?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are not level design, they're masturbatory environment assemblages. Art pieces without game play are just art... pieces.

Photogrammetry can be used in level design just like any other 3d models, you just need a competent designer to arrange them properly to further the game flow.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Level_Design
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    So beautifully put Mr Chadwick

I doff my hat to you sir
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Lol , I recently saw that tutorial made by quixel for use of assets made with photogrammetry and manipulate them to create new unique assets in the same level , the level is called Medieval

The "level" is assembled in effect with the reusage of items , I have not yet any familiarity with those tools offered inside Unreal to manipulate those.
    But my question is then since the photogrammetry assets are based on scanned items with a picture albedo color map taken from those, even if worked to remove shadows etc, polycount reduction optimization , they do not have much flexibility in term of texture reusage I guess or may be I am wrong ?  Because in the tutorial series they seem to show a lot of repetitive use of the same assets in creative ways.

yet yes they have no interactivity , the whole level is just a scenery to explore and nothing more, but can it be made something more?

could photogrametry assets used for may be a large scale open world ? Use them with profit for consistent and coherent world design?

Are those assets usefull or not in the end? Do they save time and make the scenes more real or it can't replace the manual work ?
    Is it still better to manually create those items?

And what's the difference between a photogrammetry item worked to have that texture taken from reality with the object optimization and an item worked from a real photo to get the same shape and look but made manually?

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To your last question... time, which is money.

• Eric Chadwick