Home Technical Talk

Can't pinpoint my (GPU?) Problem

interpolator
Online / Send Message
Larry interpolator
Greetings guys, I recently bought Nvidia RTX 3090. However I find there are various issues with different programs and games, and I can't pinpoint what is happening and why.
in UE4, after a while there is a graphics bug that doesn't display the menus.You can click them,although they are just flickering once and dissapearing again when I move the mouse
In Zbrush after 30 minutes or so it doesn't let me save or it crashes if I save
Fortnite was crashing after every game but that was fixed when i reinstalled it
In 3ds max, if there is no sound for a while, the default "bling" sound is distorted the first time.
Several similar issues, others minor and others just annoying happen with different programs. 

I have all drivers, bios and windows up to date... I googled all the issues individually but cannot solve them, and I feel there's something that's causing all these problems and it's probably the graphics card? Anyone had any similar problems?

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    first thing i would try, go back to the studio drivers from november last year

i had plenty of issues with newer drivers on my 2070 at home. now its all fine again
  • Larry
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Neox said:
    first thing i would try, go back to the studio drivers from november last year

i had plenty of issues with newer drivers on my 2070 at home. now its all fine again
    Oh I had the game drivers. I downloaded the studio drivers and the ones before october. I'll try the latest studio drivers now and then the previous versions. If there's still a problem I'll bump this thread. Thanks :)

• GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    I recommend you uninstalling your video drivers with DDU and installing them back.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Current game drivers work for me on a 3080. The only issues I've had with my 3070 and. 3080 were iray not supporting 30 series in painter 

Got a big enough PSU? 
  • Larry
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    poopipe said:
    Current game drivers work for me on a 3080. The only issues I've had with my 3070 and. 3080 were iray not supporting 30 series in painter 

Got a big enough PSU? 
    1000w :P I did that with the DDU and so far it seems fine but didn't really test for hours. Thanks @GlowingPotato

• Larry
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    So I tested different drivers and further pin pointed the problem, this starts happening in Zbrush if i go afk for even 5 minutes and the art screen starts showing, or in 3ds max and other programs, if I alt+tab to a different program that uses part of the GPU like a game or a different 3d software or even youtube.
    Don't know what to do :/
  • TangDao
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    TangDao polycounter lvl 6
    I had problems once when my card was improperly seated in the slot.You could take it out and put it back in to see if it helps.
  • birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    ^Once you eliminate drivers, this. And get a hardware monitoring tool and set it to save logs, paying attention to the changes in the sensors when the issues happen. HWiNFO is a pretty complete one if I recall it correctly.

I once had a brand new but defective GPU that would utterly freak out and crash my computer when switching to higher PCIe speeds. It wasn't linked to usage intensity or heat or anything, happening both when idling and when being used. Only when closely monitoring it patterns of likely triggers emerged, allowing me to devise test cases to confirm it—that it was in fact the GPU because it dumped CPU-like errors, and how to reproduce it—so I had irrefutable evidence to get a replacement.
  • Larry
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    birb said:
    ^Once you eliminate drivers, this. And get a hardware monitoring tool and set it to save logs, paying attention to the changes in the sensors when the issues happen. HWiNFO is a pretty complete one if I recall it correctly.

I once had a brand new but defective GPU that would utterly freak out and crash my computer when switching to higher PCIe speeds. It wasn't linked to usage intensity or heat or anything, happening both when idling and when being used. Only when closely monitoring it patterns of likely triggers emerged, allowing me to devise test cases to confirm it—that it was in fact the GPU because it dumped CPU-like errors, and how to reproduce it—so I had irrefutable evidence to get a replacement.
    I downloaded HWiNFO and it doesn't show any problems. I timed Zbrush and it crashes after 1 hour if I save. Haven't found any other consistent problems for now
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Larry said:
    In 3ds max, if there is no sound for a while, the default "bling" sound is distorted the first time.

These three to me don't look like GPU problems per se. ZBrush as far as I know still does not utilize the GPU/hardware acceleration, 3ds max and sound point into some other direction IMO and Fortnite - well games might crash for any reason but if were a GPU issue in the first place why would it be solved after a reinstall of the game?

Are you 100% sure that nothing apart from the GPU has changed in your system and if you take out the GPU and replace it with whatever you had before (or if your CPU has an iGPU feature): does everything now behave again?

Else in my opinion it's more likely that some Windows update has borked your OS - that's assuming you let Windows run updates as it pleases.

• Larry
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    thomasp said:
    Larry said:

These three to me don't look like GPU problems per se. ZBrush as far as I know still does not utilize the GPU/hardware acceleration, 3ds max and sound point into some other direction IMO and Fortnite - well games might crash for any reason but if were a GPU issue in the first place why would it be solved after a reinstall of the game?

Are you 100% sure that nothing apart from the GPU has changed in your system and if you take out the GPU and replace it with whatever you had before (or if your CPU has an iGPU feature): does everything now behave again?

Else in my opinion it's more likely that some Windows update has borked your OS - that's assuming you let Windows run updates as it pleases.

Since this was a brand new pc with brand new copy of windows, I just installed everything being a latest driver
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Those issues sound like ones that are more likely to do with RAM (memory corruption) then the GPU. Try running memtest to see if it spots any errors, and/or try using the PC with just 1 ram stick at a time to see if any of them (or any of the DIMM sockets) are causing the issue.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Larry said:
    Since this was a brand new pc with brand new copy of windows, I just installed everything being a latest driver
    Ah I see, your starting post made it sound like you upgraded the GPU.

I'd say follow up PolyHertz's advice and if that doesn't change things still have a look at removing the 3090 and using the iGPU assuming your CPU has one.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
     i had all manner of weird shit on my new machine until i updated to the most recent bios (5950x on an asus x570 board)  so that might be worth a shot depending on what you're packing.  

it was stuff that would normally look like memory, psu or improperly seated components.  eg. the machine hard rebooting after a few minutes sitting idle (despite running fine for 5-6 hours at full tilt) , random stalls, refusing to turn on sometimes etc etc. 
  • Larry
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    poopipe said:
     i had all manner of weird shit on my new machine until i updated to the most recent bios (5950x on an asus x570 board)  so that might be worth a shot depending on what you're packing.  

it was stuff that would normally look like memory, psu or improperly seated components.  eg. the machine hard rebooting after a few minutes sitting idle (despite running fine for 5-6 hours at full tilt) , random stalls, refusing to turn on sometimes etc etc. 
    I've done that as well for 5950x otherwise motherboard couldn't read the cpu... Problems now seem to be just with Zbrush, so I'll check with them
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It depends when you did the update - If it's a bios from last year it'll be shit