Home Technical Talk

Any point in modeling to exact metrics if not snapping to grid in engine?

jordank95
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jordank95 polycounter lvl 8
So I'm working on building out a kit for a level I'm working on. The level itself is meant to be organically constructed, so I wont be doing any snapping of anything to a grid. Is there a benefit to model all my floor/wall pieces to any metrics if they arent being snapped? Like 4x4m wall piece for example, or a 2x4m floor panel...do these need to be modeled to specific sizes if they arent being constructed using the grid in engine?

I understand this might be a silly question, but its been bugging me for quite some time. 

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Usually modular kits adhere to metrics for the sole reason of snapping to the grid. eg, you know you won't have any gaps or extra geo if you know your wall kits are a denominator of 100cm widths (50cm, 25cm variants etc), and the rooms that you have blocked out are 10mx10m.

If your level is "organic" and requires no snapping, then you don't really need to adhere to metrics as strictly as if you were snapping. Maybe for texel density reasons, it'd be easier and faster to have your modular pieces be a certain size so you can easily apply textures/td without doing any math.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You want to model to real world scale where possible cos of physics, texel density and so on. But no, if you're not working to a grid, there's no need to model to one
  • jordank95
    Offline / Send Message
    jordank95 polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks guys, just what I figured.