Home General Discussion

Artificial interactions on art station

Does anyone else see this? I will every so often see works on artstation with more likes and comments than I would expect based on their quality. The artist usually comes from an eastern european country and so do the likes and comments too largely come from that region of the world. An example of this is this military shovel.
The shovel is not super well textured. Modeling is okay. My thoughts on it are that it's mediocre. Is there something artificial happening here? Any opinions on this?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Protip: spend less time worrying about how many comments or likes other people get, and more time worrying about making your own work better. Likes/comments/etc will come if you do that. Getting salty about someone else's work is not productive.

Additionally, calling out some random person's work is in really poor taste.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    If I'm about to hire someone I don't care a bit about likes or comments.

If you are looking for likes you don't need to be good in the first place but visible. And this is about marketing yourself and luck and all of this goes into a completely different direction then the quality of your work.
    So I'm with EQ here - though I guess you just picked some random model of some random person.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    There could be any number of reasons for someone to like a work on artstation. Could be friends, classmates, or people they have networked with. They may like the piece. Not really relevant. Until Artstation likes have value in Dollars, Euros, or Bitcoin there is no point in caring anymore about them than x number of people (mostly strangers) on the internet liked my art work. It does feel nice when your latest post gets more attention than the previous, but good luck paying bills or buying food with artstation likes. No employer is going to hire or not hire you based on your number of likes. You really should not care how many likes someones art gets. And if someone is using bots for artstation likes their time would be better suited in actually improving their art, but thats their time wasted. not anyone else's.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn, I was hoping this was about artstation licks

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    even if we exclude the whole issue with calling someone out like this, and obsessing about numbers, I dont think theres anything strange going on here at all.

Looking at the thread I was kind of expecting thousands of likes and hundreds of comments. 700 Views and 100 likes looks absolutely normal tbh.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    lotet said:
    even if we exclude the whole issue with calling someone out like this, and obsessing about numbers, I dont think theres anything strange going on here at all.

Looking at the thread I was kind of expecting thousands of likes and hundreds of comments. 700 Views and 100 likes looks absolutely normal tbh.

and some friends telling each other "nice job" nothing out of the ordinairy here.