Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Stylized Orc Model

So I've been going through the GameDev.tv Blender Character Creator course on Udemy and thought I'd post my progress here.

Here's what the finished sculpt looks like:
And the low poly version (probably more like mid poly because its nearly 14k tris)
And here's some topology:

Replies

• JohannesAg
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    well 14 k is not a lot for a game character these days so don´t worry too much about that.
    There are some anatomical issues you could fix, the most glaring ones being the way the pecs connect with the arm and the deltoids.
    The second one being the sort of hour glass shape of the arms, so I would suggest starting to learn some anatomy since it´s crucial for making good characters.
    That being said I looked up the course you are taking and I´m not particularly impressed with the teacher tbh, after you finish this character I would look elsewhere for guidance, there is a lot of free information on the subject as well so you don´t necessarily have to take a course.

• HarlequinWerewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    I have to agree with Johannes, I'm not super impressed by the course but if it helps you get to grips with Blender and character creation then it isn't a total waste of time.

There are some things that bother me about this guy, mostly the proportions, coming back to what Johannes said about the hourglass shaped arms, they definitely need more definition and love. Even if it's stylized, you have to have the anatomy correct before you can push it around. The arm is kind of like a chain link, each part connects to the other like the links of a chain. His hands are also really small which is kind of weird against the rest of the arm. 

Your facial topology isn't bad, you have all of the major loops needed for animating, but it could definitely be optimised - you have these loops running down up the head and down the back that are really close together and could be collapsed to get a neater and more optimised finish. The main thing is to think about where you want to spend tris and where you can afford to lose them. Make sure you keep the silhouette
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Good advice above!
    If you are just starting out then the first bit of advice is to practice human anatomy first. You can use Daz3D (free) as a reference while you work.

• hopemetal
    well 14 k is not a lot for a game character these days so don´t worry too much about that.
    There are some anatomical issues you could fix, the most glaring ones being the way the pecs connect with the arm and the deltoids.
    The second one being the sort of hour glass shape of the arms, so I would suggest starting to learn some anatomy since it´s crucial for making good characters.
    That being said I looked up the course you are taking and I´m not particularly impressed with the teacher tbh, after you finish this character I would look elsewhere for guidance, there is a lot of free information on the subject as well so you don´t necessarily have to take a course.

Thanks for the advice. I agree that anatomy is something I should practice. Also, do you have some recommendations for modelling tutorials?

EDIT: I went ahead and tried to make the arms better:

• JohannesAg
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    My favourite learning resources  are for example Simon Fuchs gumroad for props and Georgian Avasilcuteis twitch streams for characters but neither of those use blender.
    I don´t know how much you know already but there is an intro to blender thing on chamferzone that is free and of course on the blender website I believe.
    A lot modeling practices are transferable between software but if you are learning the basics then it´s probably better not have to deal with that, but if you are not software bound or you know enough to be able to follow somebody using a different software then the stuff I mentioned above is really good.
    I think flipped normals have some free videos on blender on their youtube channel. 
    Wish I could be of more help but it´s a lot easier to find tutorials on specific things, it´s actually harder to find decent stuff that covers the basics, I´ll update this if I can think of anything good.
    Keep going

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    I'd check out the videos these guys (Flipped Normals) put out. They have a ton of great advice and experience. Some starting pieces to focus on. I know these are Zbrush tuts, but I'm sure Blender has something close...these vids really break down the theory/process of sculpting more than the tools specifically, although the tools are important. Check out the vids...it'll make sense once you watch em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGFBd6YmJ7c

https://youtu.be/iAVGcCuSjxA

https://youtu.be/96-nS68cwvA

https://youtu.be/TpS0QdlfHWU

Good luck.