Home General Discussion

All out of Teriyaki sauce?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
ImsumDave polycounter lvl 11
I need to ask a question for my own curiosity, and for anyone else out there scratching their head, like me. Every once in a while I will look through an old thread, perhaps to find out what the hell happened to gameartisans, or what the hell happened to CGHub (no one knows the full story), or maybe to look at nice 3D art, and there will be a hole where a comment should be. A deleted user and a "The user and all related content has been deleted" comment.  Not just banned, deleted, along with all the cool shit that they might've sprinkled across the forum (admittedly, the forum does have a lot old posts without images that should be there due to 3rd party image hosting). The first flake dropped in 2006, and 2000 posts later, the last fell at the end of 2017. 11 years and 2000 posts. And they are categorized as an "insane polycounter". Well, turns out that that is a site-rank corresponding to their level of activity on the site. It's not an indication by the mods/admins of their opinion of the said person. Although, you can forgive me for thinking so given the rarity of that rank.

So getting to the point, what happened to TeriyakiStyle's account/content? Given that it was deleted and not banned I feel that that indicates he requested the removal of the content. Anyone have any idea? I have been fairly inactive for the past 3 years (not that I was ever very active), but I do remember him and his art. What gives?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, they simply requested their account and all content be deleted. This happens now and then, people want to wipe the account and move on. We always respect their wishes.

Unfortunately though, the incorrect deletion setting was used in this case, so instead of completely wiping all their posts, the software wiped their name and inserted that message.

If I could delete them all instead I would, as it looks more fishy than it actually is, but there just isn't an obvious way. 
  • ImsumDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Chadwick
    Ok, thanks for the answer Eric. Honestly, I wouldn't have initially been so interested in finding out if I hadn't made the assumption that "insane polycounter" was some sort of dis on the person. Like they went way off the rails and did something that warranted nonconsensual account deletion. Of course I found that that wasn't the case, but I was still curious.

I did find out more about the user. I will say it looks like they are fine and have left the games industry (still doing 3d art). I don't want to invade their privacy any more than I already have. I do think it's unfortunate that it was deleted, however it's not my choice. I will respect their decision.

I lament the loss of content that could have been helpful to others. Especially from someone who was so active for so long. It would be better to have never known it was there and is now gone. 

Forgive me if I'm over stepping my bounds here or am wrong. I don't know what server software is being used on the forum. I have a little bit of outdated webdev knowledge. What determines which user activity level/rank is displayed? The database must still have some user entry that is somehow associated with the deleted posts and threads. Otherwise, how would the level/rank still be displayed? I assume that each post has content stored as a string, a post id, an associated user id/name, an associated thread id, etcetera. The user info (activity rank) is retrieved from the user database table using the associated reference user id/name in the post's database table row. The rank is dynamic and does not remain static as-is at time of posting. Given that such an error can occur in this way I assume the user, and associated threads and posts are not deleted from the database, but are hidden or changed to redirect (if hide column is true text = "deleted content statment"). I make that assumption because a mySQL statement like "DELETE FROM databaseTable WHERE username='TeriyakiStyle'" (or userid='01023942' or something) executed on all forum tables would wipe the user from the database. So there must be some association there that could be accessed and used to properly delete the content. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can contact Vanilla (our site host) and ask about scrubbing.

You can learn all about our Polycount ranks here:

https://polycount.com/discussion/63361/information-about-polycount-new-member-introductions/p1#points
  • ImsumDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Chadwick
    Sorry for bringing this up over the holidays. 

I was aware of ranks, but not that particular rank or how they are determined. I would think nothing was off about the rank if only it wasn't listed directly beside "[deleted user]". 

I should also make you aware that Dustin 'dudestein' Brown is listed on the wiki about page as a current polycount moderator but his linked account is deleted.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yes, another "defector". Thanks for the catch!