Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modeling Reel

Hello,
my name is Kimberly and I am in my last semester of college at Lynn University. I am presenting my final demo for portfolio. any advice is welcome.

Replies

• Kimberlyg7
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    Good instincts to put your best work first.

The apartment looks great. I quite like the lighting, though it looks a little over exposed over near the big window. As for the models and topology, the flower petals seem unnecessarily dense, and the glass table seems unusually low-poly in comparison. It looks like the glass table has 'holding edges' though, so I'm guessing you're going for a high-res, sub-division type of render. In that case, excessive polygons probably won't matter. However, learning how to create clean low-res models will be essential if you decide to pursue work in games, VR, or real-time arch-vis. Also, showing off the wireframes and texture maps of more of your models such as the couch, pillows, and candelabras would be nice. (That is if you have texture maps to show. Looking at it again, it looks like you're doing procedural noise-based textures. Perhaps show the UV's instead?)

I'm sorry if I sound harsh when I say this, but the character feels unfinished to me. The model/sculpt is missing some of the finer anatomical details that are in the original concept, and the painted-on lines unfortunately aren't enough to make up for it. I think the lines are also a bit too a-symmetrical. The textures are completely lacking in detail, and they just look like flat colors to me. With a stylized character like this, the textures should bring the character to life. Lighting is also pretty flat and lifeless.
    I would recommend looking finding and studying some stylized characters you admire (there's tons on Artstation and 80Level) and researching/emulating their texturing process'. With some extra work, I think your character could look really cool.  =)

What's going on with the fish restaurant at the end? I'm not sure if it's just me, but it looks like it's glitching-out? Like there are tons of alpha sorting issues or something. The quality of the models textures and lighting are also sub-standard, and a far cry from the quality of the apartment scene at the beginning. I would recommend scrapping that one, and replacing it with something new that better represents your current skill level. . . But it's your call.

One last thing, a lot of people (in the game industry at least) don't really like demo-reels and prefer image galleries. You can make a free portfolio on Artstation if you want. It's a good idea even as a secondary portfolio since it's such a high-traffic site, your work will be more likely to get noticed than on YouTube or a personal website. Just food for thought.

Good luck!
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    agreed with above, if I were you I would narrow down what you want to do ideally.  Do you want to do environements, characters, Arch Viz?  To me it seems like the apartment is the most finished piece, everything else after that doesn't compare.  Perhaps make some time to take the other 2 pieces to that same level of quality.  And to state again, I would just go artstation, forget the demo reel and a gallery of still is the way to go IMO 
  • Kimberlyg7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for the critiques. I am going to clean up the last 2 pieces more because they do fall short in comparison looking at it more. Narrowing down what I want to do exactly is a bit of struggle for me at the current moment. 

Also thank you for the advice about the image based gallery. I think that would be better for me. I didn’t know recruiters for the game industry prefer that over demo reels.
  • Kimberlyg7