Home Technical Talk

Cyberpunk 2077, how do you think they did this effect for the cybernetic implants?

quad damage
Online / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Hi,

In Cyberpunk 2077 how do you think they did this effect for the cybernetic implants. Is it in a decal? or is there some clever UV placement?  or is there some other witchcraft going on? I understand its still under NDA so I'm happy with a guess. 

Here is the effect on the following link - https://youtu.be/BO8lX3hDU30?t=39

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    They're almost certainly doing it through UVs, probably a second UV channel where the face has been unwrapped in such a way that straight lines in 2D map to the mesh without distortion (even if it means more seams they can just avoid having the lines go over them).
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    TLDR;
    I guess, don't waste your time reading if your time is so precious you can't take 2 minutes to read this comment.

Sucks it leaked there goes 10 years of hardwork, multimillion dollar industry, 10k security team? mmm.

Other than that, my very uneducated guess (on how this stuff works at all) some "alpha normal stamping" through the uv's, maybe they really went through the trouble of making multi / uv's / through a tile sheet just for these edits for each character? I like P.H.'s comment, 2nd channel, through every character shares the same skin map (saves on space) Hair,Eyes,ect are all on their own seperate maps, so a bare skin model then add in a default look, then add these things together and tada?

Maybe i over complicated it but makes sense in my head, seperate maps instead of seperate maps for each character individually.  I am probably wrong, it was fun to try.  Wonder what the answer really is, p.s. i do not have the leaked version so its an actual guess, my pc can't run it anyway..
  • littleclaude
    Online / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Cool, thanks, DavidCruz  and PolyHertz  I'm going to give it a try and see what happens :) 

Hopefully there will be an art dump one day and a GDC talk on the subject. 

I am looking forward to trying the game, it looks spanking. 
  • nathanliu666
    I think it just done by decals
  • okidoki
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2
    What about a bump map controlling the mix between the skin a somekind of other material.. maybe also different colorramp or RGB curve to have different mixes in bump and material.. ( put them both into the shader just to show...)..