Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[ WIP ] - Event Horizon Control Room (Ue4)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
CedricArsenault polycounter lvl 5

Hey everyone!

A couple of weeks ago I started working on this environment based on the Scifi\Horror movie "Event horizon". There's still many things to be done, but here's my progress so far:

For this project I wanted to try using the Star citizen\Alien Isolation workflow, wich means that most assets will be textured using trim sheets, tileables and decals. Here are the two textures I'm mostly using for the main modules:

I will be posting some more progress here later on. Please don't hesitate if you've got any kind of feedback!

Replies

• CedricArsenault
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I've been having some problems with decals lately inside of Unreal Engine, and I havent really found a solution to this yet so I'm going to ask here. When I'm applying a decal to an emissive surface, it only appears very subtly on the surface, as if the emissive was overriding the decal on top. I tried multiple things so far, including changing the decal blend mode and adding a negative emissive value to the decal, without any results.

Is this a limitation or is there something else I can do? Thanks in advance.
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Deferred decals have some limitations, yes. If you have tried all the blending modes then im afraid theres nothing else to do. Either try to make the emmissive material behind another transparent material (think of a headlight) and the decal will project only on the glass. Or make the decal an actual mesh with transparency (like the edge damage trick)
  • CedricArsenault
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Teodor, Thanks for the help! A masked plane works great, I cant believe I haven't thought of that haha. Also, I might be wrong, but I don't think deferred decals works on other translucent surfaces either. I tried it on the glass in the back and it does the same thing, but the masked plane alternative works well for now.
  • CedricArsenault
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much progress since last time, but I added the ceiling pieces and moved the pillars on the right side.
    The main modules are almost done, so I'll be able to work on the main assets very soon (wich will be the most fun part).

• CedricArsenault
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there! It's been a while.
    I've been working on the main assets and made some more progress. I'm still not satisfied with all of them and need to Finalize the chair in the middle, but it's getting closer. As always, feedbacks and critiques are much appreciated.