Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Miss Peregrine - Eva Green Likeness (Realtime)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
RabidRabit polycounter lvl 9
Latest shot:

Hey everybody! Figured it was time to starting posting some of the work I've been doing for my second character under the mentorship of Georgian Avasilcutei. This time around I'm pushing the realistic game ready angle, challenging myself to create a likeness as well as tackling hair for the first time. 

I'll be looking to recreate the character from the Miss Peregrine movie. The film had its cool moments and I really enjoyed a lot of the character design, especially for the title character herself.

Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children 2016

Replies

• RabidRabit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Forgot to add some shots from the high poly sculpt!
  • RabidRabit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was having an issue pulling some clear reference from the movie so I went and tried to sculpt the "idea" as both a way to start thinking about how the hair was flowing and gathering and having some sort of outward silhouette to adhere to.

From there I started plugging in some card action. Still needs a lot of work and refinement but I'm slowly crawling closer to the hairlines. I'm finding that working in smaller chunks of time has been helping me to see and course correct bad issues that may have become longer term problems.

Still need to fix that skin as well... and bake the eyebrows.. and the list goes on haha. 

• RabidRabit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So to elaborate a bit on the skin "fixing" I had a lot of skin detail split into different layers in zbrush and they needed a bit more blending love because I was basically turning my skin pores in to errant noise. I made the adjustments to the high poly and rebaked which is giving me a bit better control over the textures. I also dove in and worked up the albedo a bit more with extra variation, toned down the roseyness on the cheeks + some makeup to match the Peregrine look a bit better. There's also some light and shader adjustments.

Was happy to step away from the hair for a little bit but back to tackling that as my #1 priority this week.

• RabidRabit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lots going on since the last update.

- Overall changes to the proportions of the face
    - Texture revamp, more work on the albedo + some reworking/rebaking of pore detail. I was especially missing proper tuning in my spec and roughness textures.
    - Reworked the Marmoset scene and solidified some proper preview lighting.

Currently back on trying to get the hair to look like hair and not janky card things. The hairline itself is really hard to pin down in the movie reference and mine keeps coming out looking like a square from the front haha.

• HeatherLNunnelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeatherLNunnelly polycounter lvl 2
    How did you do the hair??
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Looking super. Maybe folks would be interested in how you approached creating the likeness.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Are you applying the pores via scan or by hand?
  • RabidRabit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!! So much activity all of a sudden haha. I'll do my best to answer everything, sorry if its a bit long winded but a lot of stuff happened with this project. I ended up completing an entirely different stylized Knight character in the time where I was burnt out on learning how to create human heads.

HAIR
    How did you do the hair??

I used Maya's XGen feature for the eyelash/eyebrow geo and hair texture creation. I had baked the eyebrows down onto planes already but I ended up changing the face around a lot and having geo proxies to move around in zbrush works a bit better than moving a texture plane. 

If you like me are learning Xgen for the first time id recommend checking out the Dua Lipa timelapse by Hadi Karimi as well as Adam Skutt's hair tutorial which you can find on Gumroad. A good written alternative and a little more up to date overview of the methods found in Adam Skutt's tut can be found here: https://marmoset.co/posts/how-to-create-realistic-hair-peach-fuzz-and-eyes/

In terms of actually placing the cards I did that in 3ds Max by binding the hair cards to splines (A method that was pointed out to me by my Mentor, he has a tutorial available on the workflow in max on his gumroad, you can also catch him doing it live on twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/nimlot26). This can also be done to a similar degree in Maya using the GSCurvetools plugin. Combining the spline workflow with a lot of reference and that base hair sculpt as reference really helped me find the general flow for the hair.

LIKENESS

kanga said:
    Looking super. Maybe folks would be interested in how you approached creating the likeness.

The likeness is a huge challenge and mostly consists of time invested but there are several factors that have helped me move along in this department:

1. Straight up I have an amazing mentor and mentorship community who wont let me get away with making potatoes instead of heads. Having a trusted source(s) to run your work by whenever you feel stuck is priceless. 

2. Finding solid reference. I used to take this for granted and just grab whatever very few photos and work from there because I was working under a widely held belief that one could obtain too much reference and end up in a wormhole of endless confusion. The real happy middle ground I found is having lots of very organized reference. Using pureref and grouping things based on the position the head is in can help you find a lot of the nuances and give you lots of info to confirm you are indeed seeing whatever it is you think you are seeing. Also hunting for images of life cast masks is helpful as well, though beware the camera lense on these shots, they tend to get a bit fisheyed.

3. Workflow. I will again shoutout to my mentor Georgian Avasilcutei for guiding me in this department, and luckily he just released a bit of a guide on the exact sort of process I ended up following. 

https://gumroad.com/nimlot26?recommended_by=library

But it essentially goes like this:
    -> Study anatomy -> Sculpt from a sphere using some scanned human reference which helps you study anatomy -> Make a basemesh based on your presumably anatomically correct sculpt -> Study anatomy -> Attempt a likeness but instead make 1000 potatoes -> get lots of critique -> look at more reference -> study more anatomy -> time goes by -> profit?

The one key tip I can give away is work on the big forms in lowest subdivisions. You should be able to get it looking like your reference on a pretty low resolution. Also use super low sensitivity on your strokes and really work the volumes up.

PORES
    Are you applying the pores via scan or by hand?

I'm using a combination of things. My forehead detail is still kinda busted but what I am pointing out below is basically what needs to happen to different degrees to fix it.

So mainly I have some XYZ data that I zwrapped to my sculpt and baked displacement from. This only covers the main region of the face but there is a lot manual blending that needs to occur to bring the pores over into the scalp and towards the ears and underneath the chin into the neck and beyond. If you don't want to stray to far from your scan data you can create alphas from the XYZ info and drag rect that stuff until the cows come home.

More unique details all need to be done by hand. Clay buildup/dam standard and layers + morph targets is the way to go there. Also this is all covered in Georgian's face guide pretty well.
  • RabidRabit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Things have been moving pretty slow these days due to life reasons but still managed to make some big strides since the last post at least. Lots of stuff has changed on the head in both the technical and likeness departments. Biggest thing to note is I recreated the topology for the head both so it could respond better to sculpting as well as increase the surface area so there was more neck and chest to show through more low cut garments. Also retextured from scratch. I Feel its at a better place though still not complete. 

I also began working on the rest of the character. Skirt and jacket are basically dropped in directly from Marvelous. Shoes and watch started as well:

• RabidRabit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while, took a month or so off the project for a big move. Settled and back at it!

I've also been streaming my progress in the mornings between 4am - 6am EST. Not sure who is up then but come hang out:

www.twitch.tv/nathanelliott3d
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    That's a good likeness, very recognisable. I think as soon as you put any facial expression on her (I hope you do some blendshapes etc.), she'll look even better. Any plans to do her pipe? Always thought this was a strong image :

• RabidRabit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a good likeness, very recognisable. I think as soon as you put any facial expression on her (I hope you do some blendshapes etc.), she'll look even better. Any plans to do her pipe?

Appreciate it! It's great to hear it comes off that way, I was mentioning to someone the other day how every time I post something it feels like there's nothing left to do, but then you let your eyes refresh and everything looks wrong and broken again.

I also do plan on having a few expressions done. I hear those blend shapes are an important part of the Character Artist pipeline so pursuing a couple of facial expressions wouldn't hurt the portfolio.

In terms of the pipe I had it started. Here's a quick screengrab of where I left it last:

Also I forgot to add the hairdoo shots from the back so here is that as well:

• RabidRabit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Still working piecemeal on this.

Tried out a new hairstyle in November which I've since restarted (a little too low poly looking) but wanted to post something since its been yet another year. A little happier with the sculpt as time chugs along but still not there yet. Textures meh though I did switch to Marmoset 4 to do the texturing here which I'm really enjoying. Way more organic of a workflow especially when one needs to jump back and modify proportions and rebake details.

Special thanks to Mentor Georgian Avasilcutei and the gang over at the Mentorship and in the Twitch community keeping the bar high.

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

wow, nice job. this is really turning out very good.

• RabidRabit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks so much! Now I just need to finish it at some point lol