Home General Discussion

Advice Thread

Silver64
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Silver64 polycounter lvl 5
Hey Polycount community. I'm seeing what advice you guys may have for how I've been feeling about my work over the years. I can't help but, feel like my work isn't good enough and perhaps I can't make it as a 3D Artist. There is so much information and so many people who's work is so amazing that I wonder if I can make it like many others and many of you have. 

I'm even finding it hard to complete projects and more. I'm taking a individual class through Gnomon right now. But, I can't help but doubt myself and my abilities. So, I'm curious if anyone has any help they may offer me because I know I want this to be my career.

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Silver64 said:
    Hey Polycount community. I'm seeing what advice you guys may have for how I've been feeling about my work over the years. 
    No links to work can't really respond, if we go on that creepy tree's (halloween project)
    Lighting looks like it needs work, another note is what results (style look) are you attempting to "recreate", with that piece?
    I would say do not just do things have a game plan, like i want it to look like pixar style inside of a movie like monster house.  (or anything similar)

Had an idea bout that project i'll scribble something and add points that might help, i'd say if you are doubting things, maybe look into another area within the area you are attempting to make it into and keep options open.

Opportunities that come around like when someone says hey do you paint? recently happen to me i said yea sure i can paint, got a small job for the future outside which is always good so, just be open to possiblities you aren't thinking about and something mgiht come around.

(didn't even know the person, had a rock in my sneaker stopped landed some jobs, who knew it was that easy.) Best of luck, post your portfolio, idk if you know people on the side lines and keep your portolio private so.(some people do that, i hear.)
  • Silver64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silver64 polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you. I'll try out some of your ideas. And I believe you are right about staying within an area I'm more comfortable with. I just gottah take it a step at a time.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    It's hard, and it requires a lot of time, and you will never feel good enough. It took me 4 or 5 years of a dead social life until I was able to score my first job. What kept me going was thinking, "Do I want to keep working in insurance underwriting the rest of my life?" and the answer was always no, and so I went home and did more art.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I can't comment on how you feel about your work over the years, because I can only see one piece from this year.

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Just stick with it, and you'll get there, so long as you put the effort in.