Home Career & Education

Canadian Work Visa questions (Quebéc)

PaladinoDosBoliN
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
PaladinoDosBoliN polycounter lvl 4
Hey! My name is André Felipe (21yrs old), I'm a Jr. Environment Artist based in Brazil and this is one of my first few posts here in polycount.

Sorry for the long intro, it's all context, feel free to skip to the questions.

I've been interested in living and working as a game dev in Canada for most of my life, the culture fascinates me, and so I have been pursuing it for the past 3 or so years. I've gotten to a level where I'm now comfortable looking for internships abroad. However, COVID hit and kinda killed my plans, and so I turned to the government of Canadá's site to read up on the legality of working for a Canadian company from Brazil. I have SCOURED this site(https://www.canada.ca/en.html), read every little nook and cranny I could find but I still haven't found the answer to some of the questions I am about to ask, so here it is.

Keep in mind that I aim to work in the Montréal - Quebec City area:

- Do I need a Canadian work visa to work from Brazil for a Canadian Company?

- If so, what type of visa?

- Would I need a company willing to sort my visa out(if required) in order to get it, or can I apply on my own like other Canadian visas?

Thank you all so much in advance, this forum is an amazing place, and I don't know what I'd do without it.

EDIT: With the help of the commenters I have found this thread clarifying that it IS indeed possible to work for a Canadian company as a DIRECT hire from abroad! As for taxes ,you'd need to set up taxes in the jurisdiction you're working from and not for, in my case I need to pay Brazillian taxes. As such, I will be editing the questions to answer them:

- Do I need a Canadian work visa to work from Brazil for a Canadian Company?
NO

- If so, what type of visa?
N/A

- Would I need a company willing to sort my visa out(if required) in order to get it, or can I apply on my own like other Canadian visas?
NO, you only need a company looking to hire you.

Hope this thread helps. Thank you.

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Under current Covid-19 restrictive criteria in terms of work permits/Visa eligibility, it's highly unlikely local companies will sponsor offshore hires into the foreseeable future and as with most OECD Member States, a stringent set of border controls or exemptions apply across the board.

Side Note:
    Here in Australia for example, Federal Government Foreign Worker port of entry requirement only extend for the time being to those of Health alongside Agricultural industries due too seasonal skills shortage and domestic State border closures.       
  • PaladinoDosBoliN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:
    Under current Covid-19 restrictive criteria in terms of work permits/Visa eligibility, it's highly unlikely local companies will sponsor offshore hires into the foreseeable future and as with most OECD Member States, a stringent set of border controls or exemptions apply across the board.

Side Note:
    Here in Australia for example, Federal Government Foreign Worker port of entry requirement only extend for the time being to those of Health alongside Agricultural industries due too seasonal skills shortage and domestic State border closures.       
    Hey sacboi! Thank you so much for your answer!

I am aware of this, as mentioned In the post I would like to work remotely for a Canadian company while being here in Brazil, therefore I would not need to be in Canada! Are you aware if that is possible?
  • birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    Guys correct me if I'm wrong, but usually you need a work permit from the country where you're performing the work from, not from the countries where the companies you're working for are based. The bureaucracy involved in getting a permit or visa (!) for every single country you work for would be insane.

If you're working for a Canadian company while based in Brazil you'll need a Brazilian permit because that's where you're performing the work. You'll also need to pay work-related Brazilian taxes.

The same is valid for other countries. If you were based in Canada working remotely for a company outside it you'd need a Canadian work permit, not a "whatever country the company you're working for is based in" work permit.

P.s.: I dug up a random thread in a random forum about remote work for Canadian companies that might be a good starting point for your research into it. Don't forget to come back to tell us about what you found out and your experience working this way as it can be useful for other artists here!
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:

Side Note:

I am aware of this, as mentioned In the post I would like to work remotely for a Canadian company while being here in Brazil, therefore I would not need to be in Canada! Are you aware if that is possible?
    Ah! possible misunderstanding there because your OP plus topic directly relate to Visa queries also in my opinion hadn't read as seeking remote work opportunities at all - hence my reply, however all good.

Otherwise for clarification, you don't need a passport endorsement (VISA) to work remotely since you're not physically traveling abroard, anyhow and to be honest I've not heard of an outsourced / remote junior internship offer so I guess the same applies *highly unlikely* such a role even exists.

So I'm curious if your own research provide differing result/s? 

EDIT:
    @birb Interesting, I'd worked freelance but singular one-off jobs so only mandatory tax requirements were applicable, informative share though.
  • PaladinoDosBoliN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb said:
    Guys correct me if I'm wrong, but usually you need a work permit from the country where you're performing the work from, not from the countries where the companies you're working for are based. The bureaucracy involved in getting a permit or visa (!) for every single country you work for would be insane.

If you're working for a Canadian company while based in Brazil you'll need a Brazilian permit because that's where you're performing the work. You'll also need to pay work-related Brazilian taxes.

The same is valid for other countries. If you were based in Canada working remotely for a company outside it you'd need a Canadian work permit, not a "whatever country the company you're working for is based in" work permit.

P.s.: I dug up a random thread in a random forum about remote work for Canadian companies that might be a good starting point for your research into it. Don't forget to come back to tell us about what you found out and your experience working this way as it can be useful for other artists here!
    This is what makes the most sense for me! However since law usually makes no sense, I felt the need to ask, thank you so much for the link! I'll be sure to post my findings here, thanks so much!
  • PaladinoDosBoliN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:
    sacboi said:

Side Note:

Ah! possible misunderstanding there because your OP plus topic directly relate to Visa queries also in my opinion hadn't read as seeking remote work opportunities at all - hence my reply, however all good.

Otherwise for clarification, you don't need a passport endorsement (VISA) to work remotely since you're not physically traveling abroard, anyhow and to be honest I've not heard of an outsourced / remote junior internship offer so I guess the same applies *highly unlikely* such a role even exists.

So I'm curious if your own research provide differing result/s? 

EDIT:
    @birb Interesting, I'd worked freelance but singular one-off jobs so only mandatory tax requirements were applicable, informative share though.
    Ahh, I figured! It's all good mate. And yeah, you're correct, never heard of such a position... doesn't hurt to try though, right? It's basically the only way I'll get to work in games, since brazil has no industry and I cannot travel or move abroad.
  • birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    Ahh, I figured! It's all good mate. And yeah, you're correct, never heard of such a position... doesn't hurt to try though, right? It's basically the only way I'll get to work in games, since brazil has no industry and I cannot travel or move abroad.
    I beg to differ here. We do have a game dev industry, those companies only tend to be on the small / indie size when compared to the international companies, the issue being that each local company tends to focus on their very specific niches. Finding someone producing your favored type of games—the stuff which would best fit your skillset—can be though.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I'm located in Montreal and a lot of work and hiring is because of who you know and your prior experience working in the local industry (or big releases in the international industry)

The french requirement is another issue, not to say that they would reject you if you don't know french but there is a definite bias to not being french (regardless of whether you speak the language or not)
    Having industry experience can mitigate this somewhat but it is very specific to the company (international companies would have less of this requirement)

Montreal is also a better choice than Toronto which is a s***hole when it comes to the industry, lifestyle and cost of renting. Vancouver is basically Toronto with more studios like Montreal.

So while there is the portfolio requirement it certainly helps to network.
    Here's one possible opportunity, an online game jam with some local studios in attendance 
    https://discord.gg/FSkc4f
    I don't think you have to be a local/Canadian to be in attendance.

For remote working there is no visa requirement. I would be wary of companies undercutting you and refusing to credit you. So make sure any contracts are transparent and water tight.

A lot of leverage comes from having your work having adequate exposure and support, so companies have less opportunity to pass over you. (they still can for a less experience artist, there is a lot of politics and the work doesn't always require top tier skills, lot of it is grunt work)

After this pandemic has passed, If you do wish to migrate, there are other easier ways to do that than rely on a game company to sponsor you.
    You could also look into working holiday visa's for Canada available to citizens of Brazil. or maybe doing a short course here and learning french.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has raised some valid points, this one in particular:
    A lot of leverage comes from having your work having adequate exposure and support, so companies have less opportunity to pass over you. (they still can for a less experience artist, [snip]
    Another relevant avenue that comes to mind is the modding scene. They're been around for ages and pretty much established nowadays which in turn has helped springboard many an artist's aspirations into formulating a career, though not wholly confined too a salaried studio format. For instance there are those who actually make a tidy living just modding games.   

An article recounting pitfalls coupled with gains building an online presence, therein generating a sustained revenue stream:
  • PaladinoDosBoliN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR said:
    I'm located in Montreal and a lot of work and hiring is because of who you know and your prior experience working in the local industry (or big releases in the international industry)

The french requirement is another issue, not to say that they would reject you if you don't know french but there is a definite bias to not being french (regardless of whether you speak the language or not)
    Having industry experience can mitigate this somewhat but it is very specific to the company (international companies would have less of this requirement)

Montreal is also a better choice than Toronto which is a s***hole when it comes to the industry, lifestyle and cost of renting. Vancouver is basically Toronto with more studios like Montreal.

So while there is the portfolio requirement it certainly helps to network.
    Here's one possible opportunity, an online game jam with some local studios in attendance 
    https://discord.gg/FSkc4f
    I don't think you have to be a local/Canadian to be in attendance.

For remote working there is no visa requirement. I would be wary of companies undercutting you and refusing to credit you. So make sure any contracts are transparent and water tight.

A lot of leverage comes from having your work having adequate exposure and support, so companies have less opportunity to pass over you. (they still can for a less experience artist, there is a lot of politics and the work doesn't always require top tier skills, lot of it is grunt work)

After this pandemic has passed, If you do wish to migrate, there are other easier ways to do that than rely on a game company to sponsor you.
    You could also look into working holiday visa's for Canada available to citizens of Brazil. or maybe doing a short course here and learning french.

Hey! Thank you so much! You actually helped me quite a lot a while ago, glad to see you again. Some of these are already in the works, I have adequate french, but not great enough to be business level, I've got some gamedev friends in Montreal as well, which lines up with your advice. 

I do wish to migrate! Thank you for all of your advice, it points me in the right direction and gives me hope.
  • PaladinoDosBoliN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:
    A lot of leverage comes from having your work having adequate exposure and support, so companies have less opportunity to pass over you. (they still can for a less experience artist, [snip]
    Another relevant avenue that comes to mind is the modding scene. They're been around for ages and pretty much established nowadays which in turn has helped springboard many an artist's aspirations into formulating a career, though not wholly confined too a salaried studio format. For instance there are those who actually make a tidy living just modding games.   

An article recounting pitfalls coupled with gains building an online presence, therein generating a sustained revenue stream:
    sacboi said:

This is a niche i'd never heard of! Thank you so much for the links and the heads up, I'll delve further into it.
  • PaladinoDosBoliN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb said:
    I beg to differ here. We do have a game dev industry, those companies only tend to be on the small / indie size when compared to the international companies, the issue being that each local company tends to focus on their very specific niches. Finding someone producing your favored type of games—the stuff which would best fit your skillset—can be though.
    In my opinion, to say we have an 'industry' is a big stretch. We have a booming indie scene, great skillset, and a lot of diversity, we definitely have what the whole world is looking for, but due to constant(30+years) political instability and disregard for technology, science, and development, we're basically in the stone age of games. Don't get me wrong, I love our games and I love our gamedev scene... but industry? Not yet.

Agree to disagree? I'm happy to see a Brazillian here! Heck, maybe we even know each other.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter

Hey! Thank you so much! You actually helped me quite a lot a while ago, glad to see you again. Some of these are already in the works, I have adequate french, but not great enough to be business level, I've got some gamedev friends in Montreal as well, which lines up with your advice. 

I do wish to migrate! Thank you for all of your advice, it points me in the right direction and gives me hope.
    Oh hey I remember now! 
    Sorry if I repeated anything and I'm glad that things are going forward for you. If you do happen to visit after this pandemic situation do let me know! 
  • birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    birb said:
    In my opinion, to say we have an 'industry' is a big stretch. We have a booming indie scene, great skillset, and a lot of diversity, we definitely have what the whole world is looking for, but due to constant(30+years) political instability and disregard for technology, science, and development, we're basically in the stone age of games. Don't get me wrong, I love our games and I love our gamedev scene... but industry? Not yet.

Agree to disagree? I'm happy to see a Brazillian here! Heck, maybe we even know each other.
    I don't know about the wider scene since I live under a rock and just know people from studios from work or personally, and while I disagree with the idea of overlooking local studios due their size I agree the wider political landscape and war on culture don't create a favorable environment  to let this industry flourish. Even freelancing became harder with the recent removal of the few art-related categories from their small companies program (MEI) instead of adding the ones missing. It's a though situation. That's why I'm looking beyond our borders too.

NikhilR I'd just like to thank you for plugging that game jam here. I wasn't the target but ended joining up, haha!