Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flower Girl Character Model

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
ChiNguyen greentooth
Taking a small break from huge humanoid creatures to do something more simplistic.
This is a character by Katri Valkamo. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1nYkv8

Here's my progress so far for week 1.

I quickly painted in some hair just to get an idea what she looks like not bald.

Any feed back is appreciated. =)

Replies

• birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    I like how you sculpted the face! Throwing colors in will help to judge if it needs adjustment, but you did a fine job on the nose, something that tends to trip most artists when trying to make a 3D out of a stylized 2D work.

How closely to the illustration do you intend to stick?

The sculpt is shorter than the original, also having wider hips. The original's curvy silhouette is largely due the pose, not body shape. There's nothing wrong in making her a bit heavier, but in this case you need to redistribute a bit of her mass so it sits more naturally around her bones or she'll look as if leaning backwards. Be also careful with the torso, it's looking slightly sunk at the sides. 

This art style relies heavily on the curve / straight lines dynamic. This can't be easily reproduced in 3D, but what can be done is to take extra care with volumes to recreate that rhythm and avoid rounded shapes in strategic locations so it evokes the the original's contrast. You can also make the clothing work in your favor, accentuating shapes in a manner she looks more dynamic when posed.

That's it! You picked a lovely illustration as reference and I can't wait to see how it'll turn out.
  • ChiNguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChiNguyen greentooth
    @birb wow this is a really detail feedback. Thanks a lot! I want to stick as close to the illustration as possible and you're right. She is a bit heavier and shorter than the illustration. I'll get to addressing the problem areas and see what I can do with the shapes to show more of the curves and straight lines dynamic.
  • ChiNguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChiNguyen greentooth
    Week 2 Update!
    I think I addressed all the previous feedback.
    I started on her hair. I wanted to do hair cards with painted in strands at first but thought I try doing some poly hair instead. I also gave her some quick eyes so she doesn't look terrifying.

• ChiNguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChiNguyen greentooth
    Here's what the textures look like so far.

• ChiNguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChiNguyen greentooth
    Another update!
    The flowers were really tedious to do but I think it came together. I still need to go in and clean some spots and alter some of the petals sizes on the light pink flowers so they aren't just all the same size petal per flower..

• ChiNguyen
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    She's lovely. Folds and shading around her crotch and rear could use more definition. Not my area of expertise since I do environments mainly, but I'd look at some other stylized ref to base that on. (preferably 3D ref) 
  • ChiNguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChiNguyen greentooth
    @pixelpatron thanks! I see what you mean there.