Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Antlion Shredder

tar
tar
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
tar polycounter lvl 8
Inspired from Half Life, I used one of the original concepts created by Valve as the starting point.

I took some pictures during the process of creating it:

The concept that I initially used (by Valve):

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 14
    Daaaang this is awesome. I'm not sure of budgets for cars like this, but how high poly are those tires?
  • tar
    Offline / Send Message
    tar polycounter lvl 8
    A tire with rim is 10k polys ,as it was a personal project this wasn't a problem.

• Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    great model, very stilish shapes but a bit strangely clean and glossy. The roughness on all materials seems kind of "medium" you could push the contrast there a lot more. The values / brightness is very even as a cause also with everything being very evenly lit. The rear does takes my attention more than the way more special front, maybe you could lead the eye more with some more focus on the front with some spot lighting.

Treat it like an artwork, not like a product in a shop. Remember to sell yourself as artist not as a prop producer. You don't need to show all details perfectly lit in one image. People will fill in the blank. Just include a black & white breakdown below if you want to show it all.

Also Id recommend to spend 10% extra time on a nice background and you'll get 200-500% the result
  • tar
    Offline / Send Message
    tar polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the feedback but rendering with Marmoset I had to make some compromises especially since I didn't want to edit the shots.

For example I wanted soft shadows because I had at least a few light sources and I cannot force the shadow catcher to only accept one light for the shadow. Sharp shadows overlapping themselves on the ground don't look that good.

The drawback of soft shadows is that the emitter of the light can't be a point but rather a large shape. This makes the light to act more like a large bright spot on the environment map which means that it can't make the roughness map pop properly.

Now about the overall glossiness, part of it is because of the way GI works in Marmoset, it makes things look glossy. For example the axles and shafts are very rough but they don't look rough when GI is enabled. And because of this I had to crank up the glossiness of the entire model to look consistent but I didn't mind it since glossy materials make small details pop better. This is not a problem with all vehicles but this one had a lot of areas where the GI is supposed to go crazy and in Marmoset it does it in a weird way.

I wanted to show as much as possible from a certain angle because the vehicle is not exactly completed, I made it just because I had some time left from my 3ds Max yearly subscription and didn't want to waste that. Now I'm learning Blender and I'm pretty sure that the future final shots will be made either in Cycles or Keyshot.

• McGergs
    Offline / Send Message
    McGergs polycounter lvl 9
    Really liking the direction you are heading with this concept!
  • Cactus on Fire
    Offline / Send Message
    Cactus on Fire polycounter lvl 10
    Looks amazing!