Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] The Fake Knight Adrian

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
LokiDokie polycounter lvl 7
hey guys ive been trying to make this guy based on https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Oy9BKe concept. I want to take him all the way to textureing and maybe at the end a quick animation but am trying to make him as a portfolio piece :)

Heres some of my block outs done:
I'v been struggling with some of the shapes especially his right shoulder pad.
Any feedback would be super appreaciated :)  Thanks in advance

Replies

• Fernando Tejada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fernando Tejada polycounter lvl 6
    hey it looks very good! something I've seen from a quick glance it's that you have a some soft shapes that you can push a bit like the artist did in the concept: for example in the right shoulder pad you have a round border that it's actually a very sharp edge in the corner

hopefully my shitty sketch can explain it better xD looking forward to see the final sculpt!
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Think the shoulder has 3 spikes, not 2 for me anwyay idk ask the concept artist.  i did both cause idk if you wanted his right or viewers right so to avoid confusion.

Basically some parts seem off when putting the model next to the concept, the stylized aspects of the armor are not there, namely the thickness of the armor bits seem to be smaller than the concept i indicated the thickness in yellow, obviously do the entire model i was just pointing out the spots i could see quickly.

Candles seem to also be thicker taller as well as some drips bigger, the lines and drawing over are things i do to try to get the likeness down.  Tricky concept though, good luck with it.

For everyone:
    I have a small probably monumentally helpful tip for anyone really, something i thought about this week but haven't made into a guide or anything its easier with words...

You are at a great stage to test out the "theoretical t-pose to posed edit back to t-pose" idea i was thinking about.
    idk what program you are using blender?
    In zbrush idk if this is possible but for those that can attempt it, ^ get to a similar stage on YOUR Chosen concept (not this one) get a T-pose going and when you want to match the concept pose you are working in try to recreate it in the sculpting app of your choice under its LAYERS section.  I know zbrush can go between posed back to t-pose the issue here though is, can you Xfer the posed edited version BACK to a t-posed version.

I was working on something and i thought about doing things this way to really get a better likeness ration to future designs (if i ever make anymore) that would get the designs i chose to nearly 100% identical.
    Good luck.

But good progress keep going, maybe take on one piece of the design a day or at a time get it down 100% then put it in place where it needs to be in the concept.
  • LokiDokie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks so much for the feedback guys :) I got some other feedback to saying everything felt to small so ill just restart the shoulder pads i think to help get the shape better.
    @DavidCruz thanks so much for the draw over :) I meant his right shoulder pad but i think your right about both of them. I'm definetly going to break them into parts now and work them up one by one it might be easier to see the shapes better. + I'm using zbrush but if i pose him would i be able to go back to Tpose? I wanted to turn him into a game character so I need the symmetry for retop later?

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    LokiDokie said:
    @DavidCruz I'm using zbrush but if i pose him would i be able to go back to Tpose? I wanted turn into a game character so I need the symmetry for retop later? 
    From a test i did with Nickz_humanMaleAverage in the tools .ztl section i believe (just for reference to the gif) i made some changes to the .ztl file and added a new layer which added details to it and it seems it is possible to do what i said.  The answer is Yes you can put it back into a t-pose after the edits are made.

Do not know if you may be at that level though to attempt this, doesn't hurt to try but make a save to do this test so you do not ruin your main file, (when i have an idea to test i do this as well.) 

The problem i think for the idea i had is, you can only make or add changes to the base subdivision layer you create the layers on, so say this current state you have now would be the mold in which you replicate the concept art pose to, in the same level you make the edits to the model to match the concept. 

Then you can switch between the two BUT once you hit the subdivision button you are asked to bake down the layer (i believe idk if this has changed in recent updates and it allows you to continue adding subd's to recording layers.)

That would again require someone who either programmed the application or a master comes and says yes it works this way.  (So it would be a test, trial, error situation, but leaving it at the edited level should be fine.)

It is also fine cause once you have the posed edited version to the concept you drop it back into t-pose and just make a copy of the t-pose edited version (or save it for future reference) when you add in more details to get it to a finalized state you can check later on if you changed things too much and can easily adjust it back using the t-posed edited version as a guide so you do not have to redo the pose again, until you are at the final stage ready to post to your folio.

Gif is just to show the idea works (if you get to load this .ztl it has the arms at different positions and better explains the possibilities, having both arm layers on though destroys the arms, might be a problem.)(did not add subdivisions so if you do and it does not work that might be why.)
    I made the cheek bones much bigger and checking against the layers to see if those changes stayed across the "original" it did.
    (i do not play with layers much so i learned something new, that may be old to others, have to learn on my own so...)

You can tackle this as you wish i was just pointing out a possibility & it seems feasible as another option. 
    Good luck glad you got help before i posted my reply, looking forward to more.
  • LokiDokie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys still going with this guy. Pls ignore the mushy/messy hands they need alot of work just finished blocking out the shapes I think :) lot of sculpting to do now adding cloth folds and damage.

I decided to pretty much scrap the hp I started before and I redid alot of the lp again in maya. I know it not 100% there yet but am feeling alot more confident with his shape and style now :) I wanna say big thanks to @DavidCruz posing him  was mega helpful in finding problems and helping me decided proportions and things, I never realised how much of a big deal posing him half way would be. Am yet to pose this dude in his current state but thats my next mission before sculpting :)

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph_Bramlett polycounter lvl 4
    This one already feels miles closer to the concept than your original. Good Job!
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Wow awesome update! You are welcome, sometimes idk if i know what i am talking about so its good to hear it worked out for you, like Joseph said miles closer.
  • LokiDokie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres an update:
    I've been blocking in the wax melting and trying the candles again. I've also added all the extra pannels to the metal plates, reworked his chest alitle to be closer to the concept.
    I've split his destroyed panels away from his arm to help block them out in symmerty (so thats why they don't line up anymore).

Any crit/feedback is super welcome as always :)
    thanks guys
  • LokiDokie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think am ready for the Lowpoly to begin :) theres a couple things I wanna fix like the shoulder candles maybe rework the knew bad alittl more :) feeling pretty pleased with the progress I've made from the first post.

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Lookin' good, where dat sword at?
  • LokiDokie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys so I added his sword (Yay) and got some awesome feedback from an amazing friend. Heres some renders from keyshot.
    On to the lowpoly properly this time :)
    Thanks for looking