Home Technical Talk

Creating shoes for game ready characters

focus_method
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 5
Henlo,
i would like to know what is the right way of making shoes for a character that goes into production ?
is it sculpting in zbrush or modeling (i use 3dsmax for example)?

Replies

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Depends on the Game and on the pipeline.
    Please give us an example.
  • focus_method
    Offline / Send Message
    like where would be better quality result and also how is easier to create shoes?
    it's like when u're doing a prop for a character (a knife for example), u'll probably avoid sculpting that knife in zbrush ?

• focus_method
    Offline / Send Message
    speaking of games.....i mean all these popular video games today ppl play on PS, xbox ,PC
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    It's two different tools with tons of overlap. Really impossible to give a single answer. A lot comes down to preference, and a lot comes down to project specifics.

The best thing you can do is spend a couple days to make shoes using a sculpt first approach in zbrush. If you have no clue how to start that, there is plenty of tutorials on youtube.

Then do a subD modeling approach. Again spend a couple days. You are just learning workflow so dont waste time fussing over quality. Just something passible is all thats necessary.

After you finish, write up a chart listing the pros and cons of each workflow. It is something you can refer back to in the future to help you plan and make better judgement calls. Also, if you share it, it may help somebody else.

You may not learn everything there is to know and you may even learn a few things wrong, but this way you get yourself on track to be a problem solver (which every company needs), and less of a human robot (which will be replaced by real robots eventually)
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    I would also say it depends also on the Artist. We have other workflows here in the studio for Junior Artists that need a lot of help. 
    Its easier for them to start in Maya with a blockout. Every shape, curve and proportion is nailed. Than they start with sculpting.
    If a Senior Artist does start in Zbrush noone does care cause we know he is able todo so. 
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    i do it box modeling in max, use a foot reference in bg or orthogonal picture setup. <Old but still useful technique.  Good luck looking forward to your art. 

idc:so i found this thing i remembered about that probably gives you a good starting point on making a choice:

• focus_method
    Offline / Send Message
    so, i guess it's a combination
  • birb
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    I use a base toe-less foot mesh suspiciously similar to a cobbler's shoe form which can be easily adjusted to the foot size and shoe shape. Then depending on the shoe it may be sculpted, modeled or even shrinkwrapped.

• focus_method
    Offline / Send Message
    if i want to aim for hyper realism then it needs to be done as it is in real world, combination of sculpting and modeling, with more subtools/elements separated.......otherwise if i want it for some low poly video game it can be done by modeling and then texturing,baking in substance painter.