Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tactical Crossbow - EK Cobra

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Dethling polycounter lvl 11
After some smaller weapon attachments I wanted to build a new weapon for my portfolio. But I didn't want to build "just another AK-47" and so I decided to build a modern crossbow, the EK Cobra.

It's still work in progress but I wanted to share it with you guys, to get as many feedback as  I can get.

My biggest concern is how to split the textures. So far I split the textures as seen in the third picture. 

- High-Poly finished 
- Low-Poly finished
- UV mapping WIP

High-Poly:

Low-Poly:

Materials:

Replies

• Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a long time...
    Over the last month I fixed the high poly, baked the model dozens of times and created several texture versions.
    But thanks to the feedback from Maren Gerbach (https://www.artstation.com/mareng) I'm really close to having a new piece for my portfolio:

Polycount: 14.141 (crossbow), 4.848 tri (stock), 798 (frontgrip), 288 (arrow) => 20.075 total
    Textures: 4k (crossbow), 2k (stock), 1k (frontgrip), 512x256 (arrow)

I would be happy about any comment or critique (no matter if it's about the model, the texture or the presentation). :)

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Sup dude, no critique from me, looks really cool.
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Hey, looking good!
    But the vast majority of surfaces seem to have the same plastic material, which i dont think is the case with the real weapon. Even if it is, you might want to break that for the sake of making it more interesting. As it is right now, the bolts, the grips, the rails, the stock and 90%of the main body has almost the same material (there is some roughness variation in some cases but thats it).
    As i said, try to break that and add some color/roughness/metalness variation in some places so that it doesnt look that uniform. For example, make the bolts chrome like.
    There are some scratches on the main body (that i presume its made of metal) but the underlying material doesnt look like metal.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. I tried to stay close to the real-world reference with the materials and they used "black metal" for the screws so I don't want to change this.
    But I'm planning  to do another (texture) version of it, maybe something more wild and crazy regarding the colors (thinking of FarCry New Dawn).

Here is on of the references I used:

• Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few texture and presentation tweaks later it's done:

More pictures and texture breakdown can be found on my artstation page:  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xJDvbO

Comments & Critics welcome. :)

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    The texture could use some material separation, right now every part seems to have the same color and gloss values.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: Thank you Zi0, due to your comment I just saw an error on my side, which I have to fix (the hand guard was the wrong material). 

The basic body of the crossbow is made from the same plastic (like most of the parts). I already added some difference in the gloss at the parts who are in heavy use (e.g. the grip). 
    But yeah it's a little boring from the material point of view. 

Here is a color and gloss texture o the main (pistol) body:

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    One think you could do is make a couple of parts a bit darker, even if its not the case on a real one it will make your model look more interesting I think, something like this:

• Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see your point, but my focus was to make it as close to the real reference. 
    Also the lower grip is one part, the panel line is just an inprint. ;)

Edit: fixed the masking error on the hand guard.