Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bubbles the Shark

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Drazihnya polycounter lvl 2
Hello Polycount! 
Although I've been browsing the forums for a long time, this is my first time posting personal work! I just wanted to share a character I made as part of a university team project. This is Bubbles and was designed, modeled, textured, and rigged by me. Would love to hear your thoughts!

More info & images on my ArtStation:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3dowZv

Thank you!!

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Lots of minor things, take or leave any of the criticisms. 

I believe the hook would work better without the rope. The rope messes with the silhouette and negatively affects how people's eyes move when visually reading a character.

Blue spikey character with big red and white shoes instantly triggers my brain to thinking it's Sonic the Hedgehog. 

Clothing/fashion choices is a bit all over the place. Sneakers with a swim suit, sweat band, tattoo, blood, hook, scar, and sea shell necklace. Not sure if he's a beach bum, jock, 90s fashion, tough guy, smoker, British or what. They just seem random and not necessarily planned design decisions. 

The yellow teeth are a bit too uniform and match the swimsuit color a bit too closely. Adding some saturation variation between the front and sides of teeth should help. 

Wish the gills were closer to the neck than on the side of the face. 

Hands could use more details to match the arms and body, they look like rubber gloves at this point. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I think the hands are way too shiny, and you could have gone higher in poly count. I feel the teeth should be a bit whiter; they would stand out more and make it look more 'sharky'. Cool work though, love the character!
  • Drazihnya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drazihnya polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for the feedback guys, all very constructive! 
    In terms of style I was going for a tough surfer dude but I guess I missed the mark haha, agreed with everything else that was said and thanks again!