Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP][UE4]The Forest Gate

wirrexx
quad damage
Offline / Send Message
wirrexx quad damage
Hey Guys, wanted to show you small progress on my new Portfolio piece that I started a couple of days ago. almost three weeks after I got let go due to economical issues at our company. The entire scene is going to be losley based on the concept from Jeremy Fenske, Singularity six. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8lPGJR

This is where I am at so far. Trying to get as much done during the quarantine with my 2-year-old daughter (Wifey works in a hospital so she is not at home).

Replies

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Progress Update, I have been learning UE4 Material/functions and Instances. Also been reading about smaller stuff as SSS for Foliage and Trying to find a good workflow to create the bridge and mixing detail normal with it. All textures are placeholders for now. Although i have a concept, My main goal is to make it a bit more realistic. Think benchmark games as Horizon, God of war.

But i still want to show that my work is still WIP.

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    I Have been chipping away very slowly on my scene, re-learning shaders and Grass. yes.. grass. This is a small test of it. The base of the grass is done for now and i will be moving on for trees tomorrow.

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    I've been struggling hard with getting happy results with my tree textures, but I need to move on from them. And start to work on some tileable textures now. I've been slower than usual. But being alone with a two year old is giving me less time. Fortunatly she is rooting for me (walks by and says "dad You can do it, can i have chocolate").

• ArcaneOwl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArcaneOwl polycounter lvl 4
    The grass is looking lovely. Love the suble transition from the root/beggining of the tree as well.

Good luck with your 2yo and on forward process!  :3
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    @ArcaneOwl thank you, I've been working on learning SD for the past month or so, have done one material and currently working on a secoond one.

Need to re-do a little bit of the stones and colors.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    In God of War, the tree textures had a lot of hovering meshes to provide depth. I guess they used opacity on a plane, wrapped that plane around the tree, pushed the verts out a little bit, and used that mesh to provide some height for stuff like moss or tree bark that sticks out a little far. Just FYI in case you wanted to use that technique to improve the tree textures.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    In God of War, the tree textures had a lot of hovering meshes to provide depth. I guess they used opacity on a plane, wrapped that plane around the tree, pushed the verts out a little bit, and used that mesh to provide some height for stuff like moss or tree bark that sticks out a little far. Just FYI in case you wanted to use that technique to improve the tree textures.

Hey Thomas, thanks. I will take a look at that technique still struggling with SD atm, want to get my tilables done and re-do all of my foliage :D. But that sounds good, instead of using tesselation/Displacement!