Home Career & Education

Need help ( Portfolio Review )

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Slassh polycounter lvl 2
Hello, everybody !

I'm writing this post today because I'm starting to wonder about my future and the decisions I'm going to make.
I would like to know if my portfolio is ok for applying, because after several applications, I often get no answer, no feedback.

So I wanted to know if it could be because of my low level of English (I'm French) or because of my almost non-existent professional experience? My resume? (no 3D diploma), my workflow ?
I'm a little bit lost.

I'm starting to wonder if I really need to persevere or find another way...

If you have any advice or tips, don't hesitate.

Thank you very much for your time!

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    You can cut the lack of diploma and workflow from your potential reasons, ain't no one care about those. They can teach you a new workflow if you're good, and a diploma of some kind is totally unnecessary. English might be a concern but it would be secondary; its more of a concern if you're not local to the area frankly. Experience is something they'd take into account, but not everything.

It is normal to be rejected often with no comment. It is often that they just happened to find someone more suitable for the role, who is just better than you for some reason, or plain luck of the draw. You are likely not doing much wrong in this. Keep applying and reaching out.

Regarding your portfolio; I was expecting worse for some reason haha. You're good! But keep in mind that you are as strong as your weakest piece. You're not a character artist, consider cutting the vampire. It's not bad (the armor is especially neat!) but it doesn't really fit. the AK is dodgy and doesn't seem up to par re: presentation and polish compared to your environments. Probably nix that too. Everything else looks... pretty darn ok. I'd be careful to really plan out your presentation and final shots, but for the most part theres nothing bad; just some are nicer than others.

I think you're pretty well set, frankly, hopefully others can pick out something I can't! Keep it up, and good luck!

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Hang in there man, your stuff is incredibly solid.  I think a degree can make a difference if you are applying anywhere outside of your native country.  A US based job would absolutely require one among other things.  I agree with Bagel that you should delete the character and the gun as they are both not up to par.  Good luck!
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah I agree too about removing the character and gun. I would also suggest just choosing 'Environment artist' as a title, you don't have enough props to be considered a prop artist.

I like the breakdown in your mobile generator, I would like to see that in the environments to see how you have approached it.

The other factor is that all the environments are abandoned or damaged, so it's all very similar tone. I wouldn't know how you would cope with a clean environment. 

It would be nice to have a focus point in the environments, eg. a hero prop. Also a couple of close up detail shots as well, at the moment they are all wide shots.

All in all solid work, I think with a bit of adjustment, continue focusing on lighting, materials and presentation you can take it to the next level.
  • Slassh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slassh polycounter lvl 2
    First of all thank you very much for your answers, it's true that the ak and the character don't really have to be there. I'll delete them.

I'll be working on my portfolio again, especially on cleaner environments as suggested by Ex-Ray.

The biggest problem is that in France there are really not many studios recruiting apart from Ubisoft (applications are still being studied to tell you) In France I really don't have any answer.

I think in France the diploma is really necessary to get a job in the industry, that's what I think.

So I'm going to keep looking for a small job and continue to work on my portfolio while waiting for an opportunity, I think that's the solution.

Thanks again for your valuable advice guys, it's great to have help.
    Have a nice day!
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Did you make the most of the assets in your portfolio yourself or is it mostly megascan stuff?
  • Slassh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slassh polycounter lvl 2
    Zi0 said:
    Did you make the most of the assets in your portfolio yourself or is it mostly megascan stuff?
    The most of asset are made by me, I use megascan only for having some realy realistic scanned texture, the only asset scanned are the rocks.

I know that using megascan is not very well seen but it allows to have a very realistic scanned texture which is really useful.
    But as I said I use megascan only to have high quality scanned texture the assets are made by me totaly.

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I don't think your character detracts from what is a very good portfolio for environment art.

I mean if they reject you on that basis they ought to resign for lacking better judgement. 
    Like if I saw your portfolio and said "You're only as strong as your weakest piece." It would be after taking a bullet to the side of my head and gouging out my eyes, provided I could still talk that is.

How long have you been applying for work?

There are several reasons other that the quality of your work that affects the hiring process. I think it would help to go to industry events and network with recruiters and artists in person. 
    Sometimes they might not even look at your portfolio if you send it through the regular hiring platform. Several positions are outsourced or they hire internally. 

Also people very rarely are kicked out for poor performance, most spots open if there is more work or people jump into another studio or are poached.
    A lot of hiring is through word of mouth unfortunately.

On aspect of the diploma, and I'm not sure this happens in France, is that many of the teachers in the schools that provide the courses also work in the local studios and that absolutely has an impact on who they recommend. The way to go around this is networking events. 
    Again with the COVID situation, pretty challenging so better to just be patient. 
    I know from experience that with remote work they are hiring, but they are looking for remote work/game industry experience (shipped titles) 

Not that it makes that much of a difference, many of the best artists are utterly crippled in a wfh setting but everyone has their own opinion of what constitutes a good hire in a secretive industry with 0 transparency. 

Is Ubisoft the only company you've applied to? What about architecture visualisation firms (unless you're only focused on that company/game studios specifically)

I really doubt them not responding has anything to do with your portfolio as it stands currently, and it really is pointless to speculate unless you have received very specific feedback from the studio.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Your environment  work is  certainly good enough to apply for graduate or standard roles and I'd be surprised if you aren't picked up fairly soon 
    I've personally hired people with  less good  portfolios and ended up with really solid  production artists.

If you're getting rejected it's probably  just that somebody even better or more experienced has put an application in at the same time. This is a reality of the industry - no matter how good you are, there will always be someone better or more experienced out there - it's unfortunately just a matter of timing sometimes. 

Don't feel disheartened by rejections, and don't feel bad if you don't get a response to your application. 
    When I hired for environment art I would sometimes see hundreds of applications for a role -  nobody has time to respond personally to that many. 
    The top 5 might get some sort of response if they're lucky and the top 3 will probably get a preliminary Skype interview 
  • Slassh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slassh polycounter lvl 2
    Hello everyone !

First off all I wanted to thanks you all, you motivated me for sure, to continue to trying to get my 1st job !

I get some response for freelance work, so I choose to get my freelance status ( I have a schedule friday for completing some documents)

I think the solution of freelancing is the best for me because I dont have any diploma and professional experience so by that I cant move for exemple to the Canada ( we need diploma or exp pro)

So I'm going to start as freelance and I cant wait to have my status to start to work !

Really thanks to you guys, realy helpfull and motivating.