Home Career & Education

Looking for a 3D environment/props game artist mentor, more details in the post

Ravanex
node
Offline / Send Message
Ravanex node
Hello,

To be honest I didn't thought anybody would teach someone over the internet for free but since I've seen how many friendly people are around here I thought I'd give it a go.

First of all I'm not a complete beginner so you won't have to explain every little thing for me :) To be honest what I'd like to is someone who is way more experienced than me (the best would be someone who knows AAA standards) to look at my work and tell me everything what's wrong with it even the smallest things. You don't have to hold yourself back, you can tell me if it's completly garbage :D Maybe even some tips and tricks which are used by people in the industry but not really included in tutorials.

I started learning 3D in March 2019 in a "school". It was only 2 days a week for 3-4 hours so not much really but it was enough to learn the basics and even some more. However I think it's not enough for a job. My teachers were people who work in the game industry (one modeller and one texture/concept artist) and they told me that my models look good so maybe I'm not completly hopeless.

So my main goal is to have a job at an AAA game developer studio.  For this I'll probably have to move abroad since I'm living in Hungary but it's not a problem, I always wanted to move to a different country. My models are nowhere near AAA standards so far though, that's why I'm here. I know it takes a lot of work and practice and it's not a problem. I just need some "guidance".

I realize there are some really good tutorials out there but sometimes one needs to be pointed in the right direction. Sometimes I feel there's a bit too much information out there.

Please keep in mind that I'm asking this for free so I can't pay you. I know that people who work in the industry (especially AAA) have a lot of work so I'm thankful for every help I get. If you can spend only 10 minutes per day/every second day/or even per week to look at my work then it's completly fine.

I'd prefer text based communication since I don't have microphone nor a webcam.

I can promise that I'm respectful and willing to correct any mistakes or learn anything you say would be useful.

Here are some of my already completed works and one WIP, I work in 3DS Max and Substance Painter but I'd like to learn Blender too sometime.

https://imgur.com/a/JXPVQTO

The knife was one of the first models I've ever done so it's only there for comparison. The textures were made by me using Substance Painter smart materials and masks and some smart materials I've downloaded but all of them was tweaked so I didn't just put them on. Obviously the Meet Mats are not mine I only did the textures :)

Thank you for taking the time to read it until the end!

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    You should look for a more mutually beneficial relationship. There is at least a few industry veterans who now host discord learning communities aimed at helping people just like you. Usually they cost very cheap (like the price of coffee once a month), so I think that is a good way to help them help you.

I'd drop some names but I only know character artist who are doing that, not enviro. *edit*, actually, although Georgian Avasilcutei is a character artist, who also was proper artist for many years and does help people with that too. So check out his patreon, maybe it's right for you.

You should also use the forum. Maybe not as fast or as personal but the benefit is that you get answers from lots of people. Ten heads better than two. Also if you ask a good question and get it answered, then others can find through search in the future. Another way to kumbaya.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Your current work say's a lot especially the tank and gun, though could do with a bit more detailing but that's just me nit-picking. Also for just over 12mths from scratch learning this stuff plus I might add, nice attitude as well will go a long way when sourcing for one on one feedback. Additionally if you've thoughts of diving into Blender sometime later on, then shouldn't present to much of a hassle. Alongside Max is basically the same in so far as hard surface modeling workflows, only differing overall in terms of functionality generating content where the app's central site 'BlenderArtists' has a huge treasure trove of helpful folks and material on hand to ask/sort through. Anyways all the best with your future endeavors.
  • Ravanex
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravanex node
    You should look for a more mutually beneficial relationship. There is at least a few industry veterans who now host discord learning communities aimed at helping people just like you. Usually they cost very cheap (like the price of coffee once a month), so I think that is a good way to help them help you.

I'd drop some names but I only know character artist who are doing that, not enviro. *edit*, actually, although Georgian Avasilcutei is a character artist, who also was proper artist for many years and does help people with that too. So check out his patreon, maybe it's right for you.

You should also use the forum. Maybe not as fast or as personal but the benefit is that you get answers from lots of people. Ten heads better than two. Also if you ask a good question and get it answered, then others can find through search in the future. Another way to kumbaya.
    That's the problem, everyone is doing characterts :/ I'm interested in almost anything except characters/living things. I checked out his patreon but I think he is not who I'm looking for. It doesn't mention Discord anywhere. Also for 3-10$ I would only get tutorials, I could get those anywhere even on youtube for free. For 75$ he reviews my portfolio/artworks but I think that's too much just for the review (plus the tutorials of course).

I might try posting here but I never really liked forums for  advice because of a few reasons. First sometimes people just comment something like "It's really cool!" without giving any useful feedback. I don't want to sound mean but I can get those kind of comments from family/friends too :D More people also mean more advice of course which sounds good but they sometimes say different things and I have to figure out which one is correct and which is not. This is just nit-picking from me, it's better than no advice of course though it would be easier to follow only one person's advice.
  • Ravanex
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravanex node
    sacboi said:
    Your current work say's a lot especially the tank and gun, though could do with a bit more detailing but that's just me nit-picking. Also for just over 12mths from scratch learning this stuff plus I might add, nice attitude as well will go a long way when sourcing for one on one feedback. Additionally if you've thoughts of diving into Blender sometime later on, then shouldn't present to much of a hassle. Alongside Max is basically the same in so far as hard surface modeling workflows, only differing overall in terms of functionality generating content where the app's central site 'BlenderArtists' has a huge treasure trove of helpful folks and material on hand to ask/sort through. Anyways all the best with your future endeavors.
    I know I could do a lot more detail and I wanted too (escpecially for the tank) but honestly I was working on that tank for nearly half a year (not every day, sometimes weeks passed without working on it) and I couldn't even look at it anymore, I just wanted to finish it :D The tank and the Winchesters were my final models for the school. They liked them, actually they said my models were one of the best in the class.

Unfortunately I procrastinate a lot (I'm working on it though) so I could be way better after this 1 year than I am now.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    This guy use to do free crits why dont you give him a call

Side note :  Been a mentor is not as simple as it looks it require skills that are not usually used and they can be train only when you teach and work with someone + you have to have higher level of understanding of the subject matter then just to know it for yourself  so for everyone who plan to teach make tutorials or be a mentor this is great opportunity to practice or to check if its for you  , you dont get good at something you have never did

I did check your stuff and looks to me that you are pretty good at box modeling but material definition is not there maybe till you wait for someone to replay on your request try to replicated some real world materials then try to blend them like metal and rust or wood and stain varnish dust what ever

I have a feeling that you are looking for honest real feedback and not the sterilized bullshit that everyone gives now a days so if mentoring thing doesnt work I suggest to start a thread here on polycount specifically stating that you allow everyone to speak their mind and be as honest as they want ,you might end up with more mentors that you can deal with .If I suck great tell me why I want to know m what are you going to change to make it less "sucky"
  • Ravanex
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravanex node
    This guy use to do free crits why dont you give him a call

Side note :  Been a mentor is not as simple as it looks it require skills that are not usually used and they can be train only when you teach and work with someone + you have to have higher level of understanding of the subject matter then just to know it for yourself  so for everyone who plan to teach make tutorials or be a mentor this is great opportunity to practice or to check if its for you  , you dont get good at something you have never did

I did check your stuff and looks to me that you are pretty good at box modeling but material definition is not there maybe till you wait for someone to replay on your request try to replicated some real world materials then try to blend them like metal and rust or wood and stain varnish dust what ever

I have a feeling that you are looking for honest real feedback and not the sterilized bullshit that everyone gives now a days so if mentoring thing doesnt work I suggest to start a thread here on polycount specifically stating that you allow everyone to speak their mind and be as honest as they want ,you might end up with more mentors that you can deal with .If I suck great tell me why I want to know m what are you going to change to make it less "sucky"
    Thanks! Yeah I know my textures are not the best. I want to learn Substance Designer sometime though. One of my teacher's co-worker talked to a guy from CD Project Red and he said that they literally do every texture in Designer except a few (like human skin).

I definetly want 100% honest feedback even if someone tells me that it's complete garbage. I don't want any sugar coating.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Join the Slack!

People on there are super helpful and honest. They helped me get my stuff to professional level. I've found mentors on there who gave me so much feedback.
  • Ravanex
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravanex node
    Join the Slack!

People on there are super helpful and honest. They helped me get my stuff to professional level. I've found mentors on there who gave me so much feedback.
    Thanks, I'll definetly check it out!
  • YF_Sticks
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    Hey man. Join the Dinusty or Experience Points discord server. Very helpful communities and they give feedback and help you out with every question you might have.

https://www.dinustyempire.com/
    https://www.exp-points.com/