Home Technical Talk

Blender 2.8, Have you made the switch?

IceWolve
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
Curious here, not sure if  there was already a thread on this, but since blender's big 2.80 release, how many of you have started to try it, or switched over to it? How many of you used to use blender, then stopped for something else possibly more feature-full, and now returning? Do you guys think its now a big contender for people to take more seriously for either both industry or hobbyists?

If not, what is stopping you from switching or using it?

For me back in the day it was mostly user interface, and workflow, and how easy it was to get things into games at the time like half life. There also seemed to have been more community support for it at the time with great people creating powerful scripts and plugins. I always liked 3ds Max for that. I have tried Maya as well, and preferred that to blender back in the day. But i still liked Max over Maya. I am starting to like and use blender a bit more though.

Replies

• Ninja Dodo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninja Dodo polycounter lvl 11
    I bounced off it hard a few times just really not liking the interface... I started paying more attention to it around the Gooseberry film project which seemed cool and got into learning it a little bit with 2.5 and 2.7 as they had improved the UI a little bit at that point, but now with 2.8 it's such a huge leap forward that I can't see myself using anything else if I'm doing a personal project in 3D, and eventually I could definitely see more and more studios adopting it (though pipeline inertia means that's inevitably going to take a while).
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    I switched from Maya to blender 2.82 after 13 years.
    iam loving it.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Decided to trial 3ds Max back in 2009 after a few years fiddling about with Blender's 2.4xx series version so ever since skipped between the two but Blender remained a core preference in terms of hard surface modeling as a hobbyist. Personally, simply due to it's overall ease of use, stability and extremely light processing footprint plus a flexible standalone executable Zip option as opposed to an HDD directory installation in order to fully implement the program's feature-set rather than having to navigate through a convoluted install process alongside bloatware plaguing some propriety alternatives.

Although I'd admit, if a non destructive workflow is of interest, then the Max modifier stack would certainly be worthwhile for those starting out to at least test themselves though on the other hand inspired indie devs hardsurface addon/plugin development for Blender over recent years would be my recommendation as a side by side comparison. Anyways, at the moment I'm fine working with 2.7 however once I've upgraded my gear I'll definitely make the 2.8 switch.

On a side note, the 'Everything Nodes UX' proposed redesign - https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Source/Nodes  an interesting concept but to be honest not sure how I feel about it as a longtime user...obviously a very long term project in any case for now will continue keeping an eye on it.            
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    After 15 years in Max, I'd been messing with 2.80 on and off all through 2019. Finally completed my first production scale project in it back in February this year. It's a real breath of fresh air working in Blender. Feels so much more modern than Max. There are still some performance issues that are known and being worked on, but overall the UX is fantastic. I picked it up so easily and it's been a LOT of fun. Very little learning curve. It has a very active and helpful community, you can download nightly portables(it retains all your custom settings/scripts/hotkeys/etc 100% between builds), it's a measly 150meg DL, it loads in 2 seconds, the UI is very responsive/modern, and modular. There is a huge addon community and the program is very cleverly designed with a modular approach, addons are so easy to manage, EEVEE and Cycles are excellent renderers................I could go on.

Yes, it has some performance issues. Yes, it's not perfect(what DCC is?) Yes, it has a few unique concepts to get used to(some of which are a great strength) Personally, I haven't regretted it one bit and am glad I put in the time to learn it. I am still using Max and am still active in the beta, but it remains to be seen if I will fully adopt Blender for most of what I do. I will still probably use Max for Tyflow/PhoenixFD/Arnold/Ornatrix, but who knows what will happen in the next year or 2.

Here's a Blender 2.80 for Max users tutorial series I did last year that may or may not be useful to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqKoUqbzn1Q&list=PLFR9irzqqKRp7rCwrRSKE9pIIxfj0Dl7G
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    IceWolve said:
    ...how many of you have started to try it, or switched over to it? How many of you used to use blender, then stopped for something else possibly more feature-full, and now returning?

I switched about a year ago.  Checked Blender out ages ago and was impressed, but stayed in Max. I love Max however being on a laptop found it a little unwieldy and the install throws gigs all over the place. I really like the modular approach Blender has, which like Maya has most of it's addons disabled on the first instal. You just enable or download them until the program does everything you need. Very efficient.

IceWolve said:
    ...Do you guys think its now a big contender for people to take more seriously for either both industry or hobbyists?

This has surprised me. Blender seems to be doing well enough that people are taking notice. I'm not  sure you could label Blender as a big contender but large commercial companies are trying it out in combination with initially free game engines for communication and publicity tools. The fact that Epic donated 1.2 mil in 2019 to the Blender foundation would seem to attest to that.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'm in the process of trying to switch to Blender after 15 years in Softimage. 

The 2.8 interface certainly seems easier to pick up than previous versions, and there's some nice modern elements (like the viewport) which are noticeable upgrades since Softimage has been practically untouched for 12 years. At the moment I mostly just need to break some old habits; I need to stop hitting the space bar constantly when trying to deselect things, and I have to get used to right-click selection, the idea of switching to an Edit mode before being able to select any components, and how certain actions (move/scale/rotate, extrude, etc) are instantly attached to the mouse movement instead of offering a gizmo. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    cryrid, 2.8 you only have to click on an object to select it.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Cryrid right-click select is not a part of Blender anymore if you don't want it to be. ;)  Just go to edit>prefs>keymap and change it to left click select.
    Switching to modes is a core workflow of Blender: object, component, sculpting, weight painting, bone(armature) edit, etc.
    As for the gizmo, initially ferlt the same way coming from Max, but once you get used to it it's fantastic. There is also a feature when you activate the translate tools where you can click MMB and axis is picked up based on mouse direction. I use this all the time now and it saves a ton of time over traditional gizmo movement. Also, you can still use gizmos if you prefer.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I know, I was just using Right-Click selection as the final Blender Fundamentals video (link) seemed to suggest that it has some advantages, so it seemed like one of those things that might be useful to just get used to doing now? 

Since posting yesterday, I have discovered that I can enable gizmos to appear whenever I make any kind of selection, and toggle them with Ctrl `. So while it's not as ideal as what I would prefer (having a key like 'S' work more like its Shift+Space+S counterpart), I still find this to be better. 

I've also discovered how to use object.mode_set_with_submode keymaps so that I can still use 1,2,3 to access components without having to manually switch out of Object Mode. 
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    been using it for 2 years and have gradually started uisng it as my main program along with zbrush.
    ha sa few quirks, but eevee is great for look dev , ie really quick to get from zbrush to my desired look on character heads etc
    loving the particle hair also. can even convert the particle hair to polys, but irt does n't have align feature like in xgen
    ie you have rto mainually align hair planes to the source which is a real pain
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid said:
    I've also discovered how to use object.mode_set_with_submode keymaps so that I can still use 1,2,3 to access components without having to manually switch out of Object Mode. 
    Can you explain this? I'm just tabbing in/out of object/edit mode and 1/2/3 for component switching. Are you saying this command eliminates the need for tab?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Yup. If I'm currently in Object Mode and I hit 1/2/3 out of habit, then it will automatically switch over to Edit Mode and select the desired component type. Here is the set-up
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @cryrid Great, thanks. Would be nice if you could hit 1/2/3 again to switch back to Object mode.
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    I like to use Blender for modeling, but I do find myself sometimes switching to Maya for UV mapping just because it so poor in Blender. If they added better UV tools and a "Preserve UVs" option when moving subobjects, I would likely use Blender exclusively for modeling work.
  • Ozz14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozz14 polycounter lvl 4
    @jRocket Any tips for integrating blender into my workflow with Maya? I started out with Blender, about 5 years ago now, before I could afford Maya, but have pretty much forgotten how to use it. I'm hearing all around the place that the new Blender is better in a number of ways than Maya.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I was customed to use Blender 2.7x, but with Blender 2.8x the transition was very hard for me (it's like a different new app). Anyways, i needed to custom myself to the new philosophy and i dedicated time and effort to learn almost all again.

UV mapping in Blender 2.82a is pretty good right now, it does a decent work with simple assets and specific tasks, but not so much compared to other tools i use. Its use is a bit tedious though, and the results are horrible with certain models.

If you want to learn the basics: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa1F2ddGya_-UvuAqHAksYnB0qL9yWDO6

Too many things have changed with 2.82a and newer betas, but it's almost the same. You can learn Blender in a few afternoons, all is very well explained, shorcuts included (too many things that are not included in the blender help for my surprise). Don't forget to write the most important shortcuts on a txt file, and try to remember them. And if you want to learn more advanced aspects, blendermarket has great paid tutorials, for rigging, shading, lighting, etc.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I am still struggling with 2.8.      Love many new features. Love new addons for 2.8  .    Love bevel baking and vertex normal rotating /copy pasting.
     Don't like  left click selecting  and new "collections" and the outliner in general.       Miss old fashioned "render layers" a lot.     it's kind of an example  when better is enemy of good.    Before it wasn't especially amazing  but still okish , now it's a non stop puzzle and a mess.

As of UV I always have been  thought  Blender has best UV tools available.   That  "Preserve UVs" works with almost any mesh editing operation I typically use . LIke sliding  and the sliding works  outside of edge limits in Blender .      Now with UVpackmaster pro2  add-on  it's easiest UV solution I ever seen .