Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modular environment UE4

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
marco_3D_artist polycounter lvl 5
Hello guys! I want share with you my environment  made during the class with Clinton Crumpler.
Was a great experience and I learnt a lot.
For this environment I used Maya, substance Painter,  quixel mixer and Unreal engine 4.
Is A horror scene and I was inspired by game like silent hill and Resident Evil.
Hope guys you like it and of course criticism are always welcome! 

Replies

• Thirtyfour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thirtyfour polycounter lvl 7
    Hello Marco,

I just wanted to write this is very good, consistent work. Brilliant modular design!

Thanks for sharing it!
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Looks spooky!
    If i may, there are a couple of issues that can be improved here in order to make the scene even better.
    First off, the post process is too much, the whole scene is too dark and the cromatic abberation hides a lot of otherwise interesting details, i think. The assets look great, abeit being a bit too low poly for my taste, but they are barely visible. I know its a night scene but even in pitch black the eyes can adjust in order to see something.
    I cant tell if the lighting is baked or dynamic but either way some assets do not cast shadows and thats a big inconsistency.
    There is no backdrop to ground your scene, the whole world ends after the motel and there's nothing out there.
    Also, there is no story to it. Those games that you draw inspiration from told a story through the environment. You could see that the place was abbandoned in a hurry or that a gruesome killing took place in that location. Stuff got broken in. Things were destroyed on purpose or by accident. Panic was the norm at some point.
    Good luck!
  • marco_3D_artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    Looks spooky!
    If i may, there are a couple of issues that can be improved here in order to make the scene even better.
    First off, the post process is too much, the whole scene is too dark and the cromatic abberation hides a lot of otherwise interesting details, i think. The assets look great, abeit being a bit too low poly for my taste, but they are barely visible. I know its a night scene but even in pitch black the eyes can adjust in order to see something.
    I cant tell if the lighting is baked or dynamic but either way some assets do not cast shadows and thats a big inconsistency.
    There is no backdrop to ground your scene, the whole world ends after the motel and there's nothing out there.
    Also, there is no story to it. Those games that you draw inspiration from told a story through the environment. You could see that the place was abbandoned in a hurry or that a gruesome killing took place in that location. Stuff got broken in. Things were destroyed on purpose or by accident. Panic was the norm at some point.
    Good luck!
    Great feedback!!! I'll for sure fix those issues and add a story and some cliff for the background increasing the light on all the scenes.
    Again thank you so much!
  • marco_3D_artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Marco,

I just wanted to write this is very good, consistent work. Brilliant modular design!

Thanks for sharing it!
    Thank you! I'm glad that you like it! I have various thing that I have to improve :)