Home Technical Talk

Good Tablet for Zbrush?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
NURBS polycounter lvl 3
For a little while I've been thinking of getting Zbrush. I took a class on Zbrush when I went to college two years ago, and nearly dropped out because of it, but now I'm starting to see the benefits of using it. But before I do that I would like to know what kind of tablet to use for Zbrush. I am NOT using a mouse and keyboard with that thing! What kind of tablet would be good for using Zbrush with while also being affordable?

Replies

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I recommend Wacom's Intuos Pro series tablets where you can pick from three different sizes. Small, medium or large.

Quality tablets IMO. I'm using the previous generation Intuos Pro Small, which is still amazing. I prefer the small one, since it's compact and not having too much hand/arm movement on the surface. But that's just a matter of personal preference.

Also, the price increases from small to large, which is the "downside", but it's normal, because the bigger one uses more materials to manufacture it.

That's my advice. I kinda hope you pick one of these though. Check your local sellers for prices. (;
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    wacom intuos M is cheapish. I got one about a year ago for £117 off amazon, but they don't often go that low.
    I've used the current and last generations intuos pros too, and while they do have a nicer pen, the only difference that's worth noting is the higher LPI. They have higher pressure sensitivity (8k), but tbh that doesn't make any noticiable difference compared to the 4k levels.

I've also used one of the cheapo XP pens, which are alright in a pinch. But I personally might just get a small Intuos if I only wanted it for ZB (I don't really have much issue with smaller tablets for sculpting, but if you do anything else, small sucks a bit as it forces too much wrist in the the drawing technique, but it's still very servicable even then if you draw.

Heard the XP pen screen tablets are pretty good for the price.
  • NURBS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NURBS polycounter lvl 3
    What about tablets that have a screen in them? Like the cintiq? Are those any good?
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    My recommendation atm is not for a screened tablet, i just got one of those $50 - XP PEN tablets - was on a much smaller tablet real-state before this, the gen 1 bamboo - smallest version.  I hear good things now about people and wrist actions on larger tablets being an issue and the small amount of movement needed on a much smaller tablet saves some people's wrists from carpal tunnel?  What i read anyway.

Otherwise i'd like to hear any updates on any of the screened tablets as well, but for the record with the dev/owners of xp pen the customer service (for me) anyway was top notch to solve a weird right click issue i was having on zbrush, works for everyone else but me, but anyway they sent me a new pen for my trouble so i got a backup pen when this one falls accidentally (against the wall j/k).