Home Marmoset

Can our models/maps be taken from the 3D viewer online??

guitarguy00
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
guitarguy00 polycounter lvl 6
I was told recently by another artist that he doesn't post a 3D viewer of his models on Artstation because the actual model and textures can be taken/ripped by others and they can then sell it or claim it as their own. Is this true? Can it be prevented or is it simply the way data over a public website works? @EarthQuake would be great to hear your thoughts on this.

Replies

• Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Yep, they can. Plenty of shady sites you can google selling ripped models. I don't post 3d viewers for my professional work but if a personal asset is just going to be collecting dust on my hard drive.. I don't really care. If you plan on selling models then keep it to sites without 3D viewers if you're concerned.
  • guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, they can. Plenty of shady sites you can google selling ripped models. I don't post 3d viewers for my professional work but if a personal asset is just going to be collecting dust on my hard drive.. I don't really care. If you plan on selling models then keep it to sites without 3D viewers if you're concerned.
    Ahh that sucks. I don't plan on selling my models but the idea that someone can rip them and even sell them as their own sucks. Gotta weigh up the pros and cons really...
  • WillDettrey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WillDettrey polycounter lvl 11
    Any content that you post online can be stolen in some way and this goes for 2D, 3D, written, recorded, etc., content of any kind. There is more work involved in ripping 3D content, but anything that can be loaded onto your GPU ram can be accessed. 
  • guitarguy00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any content that you post online can be stolen in some way and this goes for 2D, 3D, written, recorded, etc., content of any kind. There is more work involved in ripping 3D content, but anything that can be loaded onto your GPU ram can be accessed. 
    Yeh, that's just a hard truth. All good, probably happens rarely so it's not a major issue.