Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First UE Environment

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Luiz_Gustavo polycounter lvl 2
Hello everyone!
This is my first time posting here and I was kinda nervous about posting after seeing so many awesome works of some of the people here, it's inspiring and intimidating at the same time haha 
So this is my first environment, I didn't have any specific goals (besides creating a portfolio) in mind, just trying to recreate something I imagined (to my surprise there's a place in Japan that's veeery similar to what I had in mind lol).
Anyways I was wondering if I could have some feedback from you guys about what I could do to improve the scene, after spending so much time on the details of some models at the same time with learning how to model and texture everything it feels like I hit a wall.
I used some textures from Quixel for the landscape material, the pine tree, and grass atlases, the rest was done in Substance Painter, I just started adding more height and improving the moss on the Torii gate and the lanterns.
The girl is Shinbi from Paragon, I used her because she kinda fitted the theme of the environment haha.
I would also very much appreciate any portfolio related advice regarding environment art!
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Crazy_pixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Looking good  for the first environment piece :)

I really like the mood of the scene. Ifyou want to push your geo further use beverls on the gates to prevent the hard faced shapes on the big parts.
    Also you could work on your textures. For example work with chipped paint on some parts of the gates. I think you will find a few good photo references on the internet.
    The lamps in the background looking to sumilar  for my taste. Break up the overall shapes by slightly rotate a few lamps to break up the line.
  • Luiz_Gustavo
    Offline / Send Message

I really like the mood of the scene. Ifyou want to push your geo further use beverls on the gates to prevent the hard faced shapes on the big parts.
    Also you could work on your textures. For example work with chipped paint on some parts of the gates. I think you will find a few good photo references on the internet.
    The lamps in the background looking to sumilar  for my taste. Break up the overall shapes by slightly rotate a few lamps to break up the line.

Thanks man I really appreciate it!
    Do you mean in the top of the cylinders, or on all parts with big faces?
    Yes, I will definitely check some references for chipped paint online! Got so carried away with the moss haha
    The lamps I was thinking maybe adding some more variations, I made the models in Houdini and tried to keep them mostly procedural, so I would just have to texture them.

Thanks again!
  • Crazy_pixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Luiz_Gustavo said:
    Jop on all the edges with hard edges ...
    My example

• Luiz_Gustavo
    Offline / Send Message
    Luiz_Gustavo said:
    Jop on all the edges with hard edges ...
    My example

Oh OK, I get it now! I'll get started with the changes
    Thank you very much!
  • Luiz_Gustavo
    Offline / Send Message

This whole virus craziness made so busy haha, took me longer than I thought to get back at modeling.

So I fixed some of the proportions of the gate, added bevels to all hard edges and also re-textured the gate, tried to incorporate some chipped paint elements to it, added an inscription and tried making the moss more "moss-like" but IDK if it's too much now lol.
    I'll start adding some more variations for the stone lanterns.