Home Technical Talk

Exporting wire paramters from Max to Unity or Unreal

Kingblue
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Kingblue polycounter lvl 8
Can wire parameters be exported from Max to Unity via FBX? I specifically need a position of an object to control the rotation of another object.

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    What exactly do you mean with "wire parameters" ?
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    I have no idea if they can be imported and digested by unity somehow, I kinda doubt it.

I think what you actually want is a way to turn wire parameters into c#. But I don't think that exists yet.

I'm sure you know, character controllers and camera scripts have actual code you'd want to look at as they modify the transforms of one object based on that of a another object or modify transforms based on key inputs etc. I'd just slap a script on it.

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FBX doesn't support wire parameters so it's not captured in anyway that you could work with. Those types of relationships that exist outside of the hierarchy structure (parent/child, like bones), are usually set up in Unreal using blueprints and in Unity with scripts and code. 

If the actions are scripted, it can be baked down to animation data but that just records the movement of each as key frame data and the main object no longer drives the subordinate. That works in the case of scripted scenes where you can play the animation on each object and it just appears to work. 

If you actually want one to respond to the other, you'll have to set that up in the engine.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You could output the information in custom attributes and store it somewhere (either in the fbx or a separate file) but you'd have to covert it to something unity understands before you could use it